"Yes!" A woman behind me said loud enough, causing some people to turn back.

"They're so concerned about other people's problem than theirs." The priest continued, "Do you know how many people in the world don't even know what love feels like?"

There was only one person that came to my mind. Kauna. She may have had her mother's love, but it wasn't enough to cover up what she got from most people.

"All because of one thing- judgement." He said, "That's why Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 8 verse 7 'let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.' And they all left because they knew they were not perfect enough, so why judge?

"Jesus did not judge the woman at all and I can assure you this- that for the very first time in that woman's life she must have felt loved." He paused and looked at everyone.

"As Christmas is around the corner, let you be the one to shine a light on that person who you feel isn't appreciated enough. Show them what love means. They deserve it." He pointed to all of us as he spoke, "There are some of you sitting right here in this church that knows what I'm talking about. Who knows somebody out there that needs what I'm talking about."

The priest looked around and once his eyes met mine, I looked away. I felt that he knew I was one of them.

I looked back at him again and caught him still staring straight at me before he looked away.

"And when you give that love," He said lastly, "prepare for two things: the best and the worst."

******

After Mass, I looked through the DVD section below the TV in the sitting room for a new movie to watch before Junior Junior arrives.

On the other hand, Kauna was sitting on the floor not too far from me, writing or rather drawing in her diary. I really wonder what she draws all the time. She was done taking her medications for the little injuries on her tongue caused by the glass eating. It was quite stressful as I was the one feeding her and yet still giving her the medicine. I wonder when she will ever eat with her own hands.

"Miriam." Kauna called me and I turned to look at her.

She was looking pass my direction and pointed to the floor beside the entrance door. I turned to the direction she pointed to, only to see her mother's slippers still there, as well as her own.

"Ummah." She pointed to inna Hauwa's slippers.

I had forgotten all about the slippers inna Hauwa and Kauna forgot when mr Audu came to kick them out of the house few weeks ago. If her slippers were still there... then what has she been wearing?

I turned to look at her legs and she was not wearing slippers but lying on the floor beside the sitting room carpet were two small different legs of slippers.

"Is that what you've been wearing?" I asked.

She nodded.

I felt so bad for not noticing this since. All these while I didn't focus on the basic things Kauna needed like more clothes, shoes and even toys since she was a child. But earlier I had told someone to tell junior junior to also come with any children-like item for Kauna today since I guarantee that he has a lot in his house.