5

Harry followed the gorilla, sitting down by her, but still keeping a distance from her and especially from the other gorillas. He was slowly falling asleep while leaning against a tree, snoring quietly.

He slept for hours, waking up to the sunlight on his face. He didn't see many of the gorillas around, so he got up and slowly walked away from them. He didn't realize he was being followed by the same gorilla from the night before.

He walked around trying to find his parents and food, walking around until it got dark. Then the gorilla would snort to catch Harry's attention, guiding him back to the nesting areas.

It became a routine, she'd wait for Harry to wake up, follow him around, then take him back to sleep. This went on for about six months, though Harry lost track of time by then.

He did, however, eventually find the campsite, he could recognize it because he saw the chalk marks on the bark. His mother used to mark the trees like that. But his stomach churned, the campsite was empty, there wasn't a sign of another human.

They left him, they're gone and Harry felt like crying all over again, he lost his family. He could feel the gorilla's presence behind him, but ignored her when he felt tears forming and quickly wiped them away as he turned to her.

From that moment on Harry stayed right by her side, knowing the others didn't think he belonged but he didn't care. He knew she wasn't like the others, she would bring him food to eat, she watched over Harry as he tried to climb the trees along with all of the younger gorillas.

Years had passed and he had finally gotten the hang of climbing, even learning how to swing from the vines up above, finding it much more efficient than walking everywhere.

The other gorillas still didn't think he belonged, but his mother, or the gorilla he saw as such at that point, would take care of him no matter what.

Harry was now twenty eight, but he didn't know that. He completely lost track of time from how long he was out there. His hair was down to his shoulders by now and he knew his way all around the jungle now. He knew what was meant to be there and what was not.