0.16

Leaning on his black mustang, Idris blew out a puff of smoke watching Carson shover her things in a bag. His bag.

She hadn't stopped crying since their encounter.

Idris felt nothing, he felt numb and hollow. Everything he once felt before, all those smiles he shared with her seemed to have vanished like it never happened.

Scanning the new town he stopped at, he knew Carson would fit well in here. The beach was minutes away and everything seemed to be in walking distance.

Just a few days ago she was telling him she wanted him everywhere she went and now- now he was dropping her off at some town without him.

Was everything she said a lie?

"I have everything", she croaked out, her voice low and soft.

Idris nodded his head before stomping on his smoke and walking around the vehicle.

He didn't respond.

He didn't have the energy to even lift his head up and look at her.

He felt betrayed by the one person he grew to love. He loved her as his best friend but after what happened last night maybe he even loved her more than that.

"Idris can you look at me", she pleaded, reaching out to touch his arm, he flinched and stepped back.

The look of hurt flashed across her face but Idris remained silent.

This was her fault for leaving. He didn't want her to go, every fibre of his being was screaming at him to take her and not let her go but he couldn't.

This was her idea and if this is what she wanted then he'd go along with it.

"You're making this harder than it already is, talk to me Idris", she begged clutching onto the bag.

He shook his head before dragging his feet to the drivers side, his heart weighing heavily in his chest.

"This is on you Carson, you made the decision to run from that town and now from me. I never once told you to leave and yet here you are leaving. Was everything you told me a lie? Was everything you felt a lie? What was the truth Carson?", Idris asked.

"Everything was the truth, I never once lied to you Idris", she sobbed.

"Than why are you leaving?", he whispered, feeling his eyes burn and hands twitch to reach out for her.

"You're fucked up, probably more fucked than me and I can't be with someone like that. You were always going to be temporary for me", she admitted, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

"So the whole 'where you go, I go' bullshit was just that, bullshit", he breathed.

Ouch.

"I don't know, I want you there but I don't", she stammered shaking her head in frustration.

Idris ran his fingers through his hair. This girl was unbelievable. She said one thing but did the other.

What the fuck did she actually want?

"Alright. You used me for the ride and now you can go build that happy life you always dreamt of", he said coldly, lifting his chin to the town behind her.

"That's not fair, don't do this Idris", she sighed.

"Word of advice Carson, when someone opens up to you, don't fuck them over like you did with me", he gritted out, throwing her a plastic bag of rolled up cash before hopping into his car.

He knew she didn't have anything and he had more than enough money. He wasn't going to leave her there without nothing.

"Idris!", she screamed, but he started the engine and slipped out of that small town in minutes.

Idris. Idris. Idris. Her voice echoed in his head, he couldn't help but feel like he left a part of him with her.

Maybe even his heart.