Chapter 33 -The third round begins, a ninja back from the dead?

Start from the beginning

Two guards looked at me curiously as I ran towards them, “you can’t go in, it’s too late to enter!” one yelled at me. “Like hell it is!” I sent a small amount of chakra to my feet, giving me an extra boost of speed as I flipped over him and continued running over to the group lined up in front. I skidded to a stop behind them, throwing up a cloud of dust. “I’m here, I’m here, I AM NOT LATE!” I declared; they all turned towards me, “what? I’m not even the latest one! Naruto and Sasuke aren’t here!” I huffed when they gave me weird looks.

I noticed they were still looking at me, “what? What are you staring at?” I looked to Shikamaru, knowing I could trust what he said. “Ahhh, ummm it’s just that…” a light pink dusted his cheeks, “you’ve never worn your hair down before, it’s… different.” “Huh?” I reached up, sure enough it was, “oh, I was in such a rush I forgot!” I pulled it up, tying it off; “not only that, but you forgot your headband. What kind of moronic ninja forgets something as important as that?” Neji spoke.

*It’s in your weapons pouch,* Kale spoke before I had the chance to panic. *Thank you,* I pulled it out and waved it in his face, “no I didn’t and excuuuuse me, I spent half the night in a cave!” I said, angrily tying it across my forehead. “Why’d you sleep in a cave?” Kankuro snorted; my eyes wandered to Gaara, who stared at me stoically, “not important,” I replied dismissively. “Figures, a leaf ninja would live in a cave,” a voice sneered, I looked past the small group to the owner of the voice. I froze, my mouth opening slightly in a silent gasp; Dosu! He’s still alive?

He chuckled, “look the poor girl can’t even come up with a comeback,” I snapped my jaws closed, holding back a growl as I glowered at him. “I’d watch what you say you Sound piece of…” “Hey, save it for your match you two,” the proctor intervened; I retreated back next to Shikamaru, reining in my anger. *Wait, if Hayate isn’t here, then… but why is Dosu still alive?*  *Hayate was killed by Baki, so that would stay the same, but since Gaara ‘visited’ you last night… he must not have been around to face and kill Dosu!*

A loud ruckus came from the entrance and Naruto came shooting forward, sliding across the ground to land behind us. “Naruto you ok?” me and Shikamaru helped him up, “oh man what a drag,” he sighed. “Guys run, you won’t believe this but, there’s a huge herd of stampeding bulls coming this way!” Naruto said frantically.

“What? Yea you’re right I don’t believe it,” “I’m serious, there must be a million of them coming right this way…” he trailed off. I gave everyone a look when they stared at him, “I know Naruto, why did you listen to Konohamaru? His short cuts never work,” “what? How’d you know!” I sighed, hanging my head, they’re never gonna get this are they?

“Hey, where’s Sasuke?” “He’s with Kakashi, are you surprised?” “Hey pipe down and quit your fidgeting, stand up straight and present yourself proudly to the spectators,” the Jonin scolded us. I scoffed but did what he asked; some of these ‘spectators’ would pay to have us killed just so they’d win a lousy bet! I didn’t even bother to search for Sakura and the others, even if I heightened my eyesight I couldn’t pick them out of the huge crowd if my life depended on it.

“You guys are the heroes of this final competition,” he spoke without turning around. I looked at Gaara out of the corner of my eye as he growled lowly; I followed his gaze to the Hokage’s seating, the ‘Kazekage’ walking out to join him. I felt the black collar on my neck tighten ever so slightly as my anger spiked, *calm down… don’t cause a scene,* Kale warned, *I’ll be right back, don’t do anything stupid.*  *Wait where are you…*

“Welcome all and our deepest thanks for coming here to the Village Hidden in the Leaves for this year’s Chunin selection. We have come to the final competition between the ten candidates who made it through the preliminaries; we ask that no one leaves until all the matches have been completed. Now everyone enjoy!” the Hokage announced.