Chapter 18

'This-this is so incredible!' Exclaimed Melanie, 'This stuff just doesn't happen! How on earth is this happening! Gosh!'

'Not a clue' I mumbled, in between Mel's hair and Troyes shoulder.

'Why can I see you now? Like, I'm not complaining! Not by a long shot, but just whoa', said Melanie, who was still in shock.

'Just keep hugging me Mel!' Mumbled Troye who was clearly tearing up.
'I love you so much! You know that, don't you?'

'Of course I know that Troye! I love love love you so much too! And Tyler! I love you!'

'I love you too Mel' I mumbled

We stood there for a while, not moving. I could've stood there for hours more if it meant I could keep this feeling of genuine peace, with me forever.

-

'Okay guys, I have no idea how the 'spirit world' works and if you're able to do this all day, but my legs are cramping. I love you both and we have established that, but all the blood is rushing to my feet and I'm going weak'

'And what's wrong with that?' Said Troye laughing.

Melanie began to giggle as we pulled apart from our embrace.

'So', said Mel quietly, 'Why are you here exactly?'

'Ty, I'll direct that over to you' said Troye, who took a step back.

Melanie instantly directed her attention to me. I was still in awe at the fact that her eyes focused on me. She could see me!

I had no idea what this meant for my time left in this middle space, but I have never felt so glad to be recognised.

'It's Josh', I replied sombrely

'Is he hurt? Is he okay? What happened?' She asked furtively.

'Nothing's happened', I assured, 'Well, nothing's happened yet'

'Oh', she replied

'That voice I heard yesterday, that low hiss, well it was Josh's subconscious'

Melanie leaned in closer, as if what she heard first was absolute gibberish.

'His subconscious?' She asked, eyebrows raised.

'Yeah, Melanie I think Josh is going to do something very very stupid' I said,
'To be with me'

'Oh no'

'Yes'

'Well, what do we do?' She said, moving her shoulders back, as if ready to flee to Josh's aid at any moment.

'I'm not sure, that's why we came here. At the time, Josh was the only one I could talk to, but he was the very person I needed to keep this secret from. But now we have you.' I replied, gesturing towards her.

'So what can I do?' She asked.

'You need to convince him to stay. Here. Even when I, ehmm... leave' I replied, whispering the last part very quietly.

'Stop. Don't you even dare say those words' she said, her voice becoming grave.

'Mel please don't be angry, but, what's happening right now, well, it isn't supposed to. You know that. This isn't normal. We need to say goodbye, but we need you to protect our Joshua' said Troye with a small smile.

'I am not doing a single thing that encourages either of you to leave me'

Dammit. She was with Josh on this too.

'Mel, you need to understand, please, this is for Josh and his safety! He is going to risk his life, for this!' I said

'Tyler what-ever-your-middle-name-is Joseph, let me tell you something to help you understand; I was convinced for these last few days that I would never see you both again. Do not tell me that I have to let both of you go AGAIN, when I can finally see you'

Terrifying.

This was the only word that sprung to mind. Melanie: our sweet little mash of colours, was petrifying in this moment.

Her voice never raised once, it stayed at the same level, and that in itself was the worst part. At least if she shouted at us and released her anger, that would be it. But the way she held back her emotions like a dam, it made me scared to see how petrifying she is when she shouts.

'I'm speaking to Josh about this' said Mel as she began making her way to the school doors.

'No no no no no' Said Troye and I, as we ran in front of her.

'Mel, please!' I begged, 'I don't want him to know that I know, cos he'll rush things so that I don't stop him'

'No Tyler. You're not telling me otherwise. I'm speaking to Josh about this after school. We all are'