» neglect

"I'm so excited to finally be moving out, starting fresh in a new city, new college, new people, ah everything new."

"Me too," I smiled at her, "it's a shame we won't be in the same area code any more."

"I'll miss you and your stupid face," she gave me a teasing smile.

"Psh, I won't miss you." I shrugged with a foolish smile on my face.

"You know you willll," she dragged out the letters with each letter holding a heavier weight of truth. "It's okay," she squeezed my shoulder, "I'll let you message me once a week."

I pushed her hand off and laughed. "I think that's a little too much. Once a month maybe?"

"Hm, yeah, you're right. How about once every semester? Will that hold your emotions at bay?"

"I think they won't even surface till you graduate." I poked right back.

"Wow, who knew you loved me that much. A whole four years!" She beamed at me as she started heading towards her closet. She pulled out a suitcase and unzipped it. From her closet, she pulled out a jacket with roses embedded on the pockets.

"Remember when we found that thrift shop?" A warm, yet tugging feeling started to grow in my heart.

"Oooh yeah, I remember! That was the same day we found the Polaroid camera."

"Remember when I'd message you to meet at one location but then I'd start to wander off to a new place, and you'd go to the original spot only to receive another location."

"I hated you so much for that," she rolled her eyes. "I think that was the day where I was tempted to get you a microchip implant. Aw, look, when we went to the arcade and I whooped your butt in almost every game." She tossed me the strip of photos.

My finger gently rubbed the edge of the photo. "That was a beautiful day." I sighed.

"What's wrong?"

"I wish things were happening differently."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, that in a few months' time, you'll be a different person with newer friends and a newer vibe. And the sad part is that—so will I. It's inevitable to change the future."

"I'll always have our memories." She lowered her voice as she stopped packing.

"But memories can fade, and so do people."

"Honey, with your loud and rambunctious personality, you're not fading anytime soon."

I threw a stuffed animal that we won at the arcade onto her face; "Never mind, I changed my mind. Let's help you pack faster."

She laughed and shook her head. "Hey."

"Hm?"

"I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too."