» friday the 13th

She threw the newspaper across the room and ran her fingers through her hair, anger steaming off her roots. "I'm so sick of people killing each other. I don't get it at all. Why does religion have to be an excuse to destroy and ruin the lives of innocent beings? Humanity is universal, religion is not."

I walked inside the room and saw the newspaper underneath my feet. As I picked it up, my heart thumped in my chest. "Oh my God."

Exasperated, she threw her hands in the air and fell back onto her bed. "We wander in our lives as there are people struggling to maintain their breaths. We sit back sipping our pure bottled water from the mountains as people taste the foul stench of tainted water with feces and bacteria. One huge disastrous event shouldn't open up our eyes now. Hell no! We should have taken action the second harm entered this world. This isn't the first attack on humans, so why are we acting like this is a new danger?"

"This is awful..." My hands shook as I clutched the newspaper. Over one hundred dead in Paris. Terrorist attacks.

"Friday the 13th." She laughed bitterly, "what a day. And where is the news on the tsunami and earthquake attacks in Japan? Where are the headlines for Lebanon? Mexico? The departed souls? We can't just sweep this under the rug as we have for the past years. This is happening. This is right now. I'm so conflicted because we want to unify the nations and bring light on these horrific tragedies but at the same time, we shouldn't squeeze all of the horrors together. We need to protect each nation, so we can come together as one world."