She shook her head once. "He is meeting with your associates. He will begin working tomorrow." Nida swept her arm toward the inside of the house, gesturing for him to enter. "Please. Come inside."

"I can't stay. I just wanted wanted to check in and see if your accommodations we're comfortable."

"I have been in worse, Clayton Walker. These will do. You wanted to discuss with me the terms of our agreement?"

Clayton stammered a moment, composed himself, and scratched at the back of his neck. "I did, yes. Our terms."

"Perhaps you could come inside just a moment then, and explain them to me. In detail."

He shook his head, standing on her porch and feeling particularly helpless in the company of this harmless looking woman. "I appreciate your hospitality, but you'll never see me in without your husband present. My intentions are pure, but I would never want you, or Amir to get the wrong idea."

Nida frowned, only for a moment. Then in her thick accent, she spoke just barely above a whisper. "You're an honorable man, Clayton Walker."

"Clay. My friends call me Clay."

Nida laughed. It was a Melody in Clayton's ears. "We are friends now, are we? Not associates? We are hardly more than strangers, I would say."

"I understand your hesitation, Nida. You're here under dubious circumstances. A stranger as you put it, showed up out of nowhere and took you away from your home..."

"From nowhere? I knew you were coming, and I should hope you are not still in doubt of our arrangement. You did not take us from our home. We chose to go with you."

"The terms, then. Your citizenship - for you and your husband - is processing. Our associates in the Immigration and Naturalization Service fast tracked your applications. This time next month you'll both be US Citizens."

"...and of our faith?"

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Nida furrowed her brow. "What does that mean?"

Clayton smirked. "That is the first amendment of the constitution of the United States of America. Soon enough to be your constitution. It guarantees you the freedom of religion, and whatever religion you choose, neither the state nor the federal government can say, or do anything of it."

"...and we'll not be slain for it? There will be no one to break in our doors and destroy us for the truths we practice?"

"That part depends on you, and Amir. True, no state or federal officer is going to persecute you for your choice of religion... but you know who I am. You know who we are. If you keep to our bargain, then your freedom - and your protection - is guaranteed."

"Where will we live?"

Clayton stared at his expensive shoes, and felt guilty. "You'll live here, give birth here, and raise your child here."

"Nadjia."

"English, please."

"It is her name, Clayton. My child - my daughter - her name will be Nadjia. Her name means Origin."