Her attention was fully centred on him. Sweat gleamed on his olive complexion as the silver drained the life and soul out of him, but he continued on. For a quick death surpassed being forgotten and starved in the basement.

"Go on." She urged.

He scowled but complied, "Well, test the border and kill as many warriors as we could. There were six of us so we thought we would be able to kill one each, but that went south as soon as it started."

He stilled, recalling the memories of his friends and cousin, before giving the female what she wanted, as remembering his cousin, sent numbing aches through him.

His only family. Dead. And now he only wished to be reunited with him.

"South England. A pack down there wants you dead. This was meant to weaken you before the other packs moved in, then they planned to end you."

His head went slack and he missed the flash of rage that coursed over Titania. She knew, very well, the one behind it. Alpha Jared. The old man had wanted her dead for years and refused to challenge her outright, resorting to lower methods. Like hiring rogues for hits.

Titania had killed his son, her previous bondmate who thought abuse was the way to keep a woman in line, and he would keep chasing her until she took her last breath.

"As if that old bastard could take my pack and kill me." She muttered, "Sending rogues to do the dirty work, how I'm going to enjoy his blood on my claws."

Her mind raced. Knotting together a plan to deal with the interfering Alpha. Not as if she had enough to do lately, she thought to herself sarcastically.

"He was sure, from what he last remembered of you, that you'd be easily dethroned. I'm, sure now he's got the memo. We were supposed to report back three days ago."

The male watched as disgust, anger and a deep sense of darkness crossed over her face. The first he'd seen any emotion touch her angelic features. And these emotions only served to make the angel's face even more twisted and menacing. A look that seemed to fit her well.

"He offered us a patch of land. Not like he gave us much choice to decline his offer in the first place." He didn't know why he was still talking but suspected it had something to do with the bond that had formed between him and Alpha Titania.

"You're not English." She stated, after a minute of silence.

"No." Came his gruff reply.

His eyes watched her with just as much ferocity as before, as she seemingly looked beyond him, in thought. And for the third time, he couldn't help but let his eyes roam. He quickly snapped them upright when she had come to some sort of conclusion, her eyes bright against the darkness of the basement.

The male prepared himself for his promised death and looked expectantly at the Alpha in front. She walked forward, knowing what needed to be done to the offence caused to her pack. An Alpha's duty. Pack first, herself after.

Titania raised her arm over his throat, just above his jugular. A swift death as promised. Accepting his future he stared her down, for even a dead wolf like him did not flinch in fear. And he, was not afraid of her, no matter the rumours.

She hesitated. Something she had not done for years and with a sigh, pulled back. Titania pinched her nose harshly, hoping the future did not punish her for what she was about to do.

With a clawed hand, she swiped the silver chains, letting the silence, apart from the falling clinking of the chains, fill the room. Bewildered he watched on.

Her face met his and for the briefest millisecond, longing twinkled in her deep blues. So quick, that the male almost thought he had imagined it.

He sat up, rubbing the torn flesh around his wrists and listened as words he did not expect, nor want, come tumbling out her rosy lips.

"Forgive me, but I will have to break the promise I made to you." She started, "You will not die here, not today."

In haste, she relocked the cage doors before disappearing up the cellar steps. His screams and shouts echoed behind her. Holding strong and fighting back the intense need to stay, she forced one foot in front of the other.

The mate bond would not control her.

Not ever again.

~~~~~~~~

Copyright © 2019 Butcanthisgirlwrite. All rights reserved.

Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on these pages are copyrighted by Butcanthisgirlwrite. All rights reserved. No part of these pages, either text or image may be used for any purpose other than personal use. Therefore, reproduction, modification, storage in a retrieval system or retransmission, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or otherwise, for reasons other than personal use, is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.