Chapter 35 - Life

Start from the beginning

"Henry Windsor's charge of treason came from an event over ten years ago when he kidnapped and abandoned his eldest son, the future Alpha of this pack, myself – Rhett Windsor. I was forced to live life as a rogue and without my mate because my father wanted his youngest son, Wyatt Windsor, to become the Alpha of Blue Mountain pack instead."

Everyone listened intently to Rhett's words. I, of course, already knew the whole story, but many people in the room hadn't ever heard all the details. There were hushed whispers from the back of the room and light gasps after Rhett made his claims. The pack was appalled that their previous Alpha was the cause of such crimes.

"Henry Windsor, state your claim," Rhett demanded.

Henry looked up from his hands for the first time since the trial began. He looked nervous, but also remorseful. Perhaps he regretted his actions from so many years ago, or perhaps he just believed he would never get caught.

"The information your Alpha has given you is all true. I made a terrible choice many years ago, but it was a choice that I believed was right for this pack. Rhett didn't take his Alpha training as serious as he should have when he was a teenager. He was more interested in parties and she-wolves. I knew I couldn't revoke his claim to the title based on those reasons alone, so I staged his disappearance. I now see that these actions were wrong, as were my opinions about my son," Henry explained his side, sounding worn-down and stressed. He admitted that his actions were wrong, but he didn't even bother to apologize to his own son.

This whole situation truly hurt my heart. Not only did my mate suffer for years because of his father's actions, but before I knew Rhett, I truly liked Henry. He was a kind, jolly man, not someone you'd expect to commit such a crime against his own family.

One of the pack elders who I believed was a former Beta stood from his chair, "We've heard both sides to the story, and we have decided to stand with our Alpha. We would recommend the following punishment for Henry Windsor: loss of all Alpha-family and former-Alpha privileges, loss of his seat on the committee of elders, labor and service to the pack for the next ten years in any way that our Alpha sees fit, and no contact with the Alpha or Luna unless the contact is initiated by them."

"I accept the punishment recommended by the committee of elders," Rhett spoke loudly without question. Although Rhett held the ultimate power, it was customary and respectful for the Alpha to accept the elders' recommendations.

More whispering came from the pack members watching in on the trial as they expressed their opinions to each other in hushed tones.

"Father, you will be moved out of the Alpha family quarters, effective immediately. If mother wishes to join you then she may, but that is completely up to her. We will discuss your service assignment once I have decided on it. For now, everyone is dismissed," Rhett informed the crowd.

With their Alpha's final words given, pack members began exiting the room. The elders stood from their table as well and approached Rhett and I to shake hands and exchange formalities, but they soon exited the room as well. The guards were the last to leave, as they would be escorting Henry until Rhett decided otherwise.

This left Rhett and I alone with our family.

Veronica slowly made her way over to us with tears in her eyes. I had no doubt that this was the hardest on her – her own mate had essentially betrayed her. She reached out to Rhett and pulled him into a tight hug, reaching one of her hands around to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry for what your father has done honey. He's my mate and I love him, but his actions may be unforgivable," I heard Veronica whisper to Rhett.