Chapter 26 - Betrayal

When I estimated that I was about half a mile from Rhett's camp, I stopped and rested by a large oak tree. I looked up at  the night's moonless sky, and howled loudly. I knew Rhett would hear me. Since I was several miles from the pack house now, I hoped no one back in Blue Mountain would hear my howls or pay attention if they did. This was for Rhett's ears only.

I decided to wait. I knew he would sense me near. I knew he would hear me, and then he would smell me. I never doubted him.

What may have been only five minutes later, I heard the sound of paws hitting the forest floor, heading towards me. They were coming from the direction I believed Rhett's camp was in, so it had to be him. It must be.

Moments later, a large, golden-brown wolf emerged from the trees in front of me. The scent of cloves and leaves overwhelmed mine and my wolf's senses, and we knew it was him. He whined and looked me up and down, checking for any signs of injury. When he was satisfied that I was okay, he nuzzled my neck with his snout.

Rhett turned around and began running back towards his camp, and I followed closely behind. Mere minutes later we made our way into the clearing – I had been much closer than I thought.

We both quickly shifted back into our human forms and ran into Rhett's hut, not wanting to disturb anyone else or be caught outside naked. Once we were inside, Rhett pulled my bare body against his and held me tightly.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have you here again, but I know you wouldn't have left unless he did something wrong. You wouldn't have left with our fight in only a day," Rhett said, his voice low and cautious.

"I-I overheard Wyatt on the phone tonight," I spoke against Rhett's chest.

He loosened his grip on me and held me out in front of him so that he could look down into my eyes.

"And what did you overhear that was bad enough for you to run away in the middle of the night?" Rhett asked, his tone was unsteady, as if he was preparing himself for anger.

"I don't know who he was talking to," I started. "He was talking about your fight, and then he said he needed to attack tomorrow evening, before the fair fight could ever take place. He's going to attack your camp, Rhett."

Rhett stared at me with his lips slightly parted as a single tear fell from my eye. I wasn't sure what was going through his head, but I was sure he must feel betrayed. He would've never expected his own little brother to plot against him.

"He...he shouldn't be able to find us. Sofia's spell is still active," Rhett finally spoke.

I shook my head at him, "Wyatt mentioned before that he was planning to find a witch to work with him. They may have figured out a way to bypass Sofia's spell."

"You have to get everyone out of here in the morning. I don't know who he's bringing with him, or how many," I added.

Rhett nodded, although he still seemed dazed, "I will. I'll have everyone leave in the morning, except for Stefan and I."

My jaw dropped at his words. He seriously wasn't going to leave? Although I was upset and scared, I then found myself growing frustrated and perhaps a bit angry.

"Rhett, you have to leave! Please, I don't want anything to happen to you!" I pleaded, trying to control my tone and hold in the sobs that threatened to escape.

Rhett grabbed my face and gently held it in his large, calloused hands, "I'm not going to cower away from my little brother. He's hoping for a surprise attack, and if we're here waiting for him then he loses that advantage."