Chapter 9: Ironic

Ever since I had spent that incredible night with Gerard, I had been ecstatic. I had been enthusiastic at work, I had been looking into moving and finally found a nice cosy house in New Jersey that I was committing to buy, and I hadn't stopped smiling. 

Today was the third week since that night, and these feelings were starting to wear off. I hadn't heard from Gerard since that moment, and I was starting to worry that my fairytale romance wasn't going to come to life. Either way, I had other things to focus on and keep me busy so that thinking of Gerard didn't completely take over my mind. I had finally found a place in Jersey; a cute two-bedroom house in a homely estate that would hopefully make me feel like a normal human being again. Don't get me wrong, living in New York is amazing but sometimes you just wish that your neighbour was a regular person and not a fifty year old drag queen called Hilda. Luckily, today was moving day and everything I owned was in the back of my new car ready to go back to Jersey. I had given my keys back to my landlord, waved goodbye to Hilda and the disgusting apartment I had called home for the past four years, and left.

The drive back to Jersey was always my favourite. It felt more like going home than flying back to England had ever felt, and it felt more like home than New York ever had too, despite the fact that I had lived in New York much longer than I had ever lived in New Jersey. Something about this place just made it feel like home to me. It was like I belonged there.

I pulled up on the drive way of my new house and admired the cosy little street I was now living on. I began to unpack my things, pulling boxes from my car and throwing them onto the front yard.

"Oh...my...fucking....God."

I looked up in confusion at the sound of a very familiar voice in front of me.

"Oh my God!" I replied. I looked up to see none other than Frank Iero stood in front of me, a huge smile on his face and shock in his eyes. 

"Isabel!" he shouted, wrapping his arms around my waist and lifting me up above the ground with a sense of enthusiasm that I hadn't expected.

"What are you doing here?!" I asked.

"I live here!" he replied, still shouting in excitement. He turned and pointed at the house next door to mine. "What the mother-fuck are you doing here?!"

"I live here!" I replied in the same excited, shouting tone, as I turned to point at the 'Sold' sign that stood on my front yard. 

"Okay, first things first, I'm gonna help you take these boxes inside," he said with a friendly smile and a voice so comforting that I instantly felt happy again just being in his presence. "Then, you're gonna come into my house for a cup of English tea and we can catch the fuck up!"

Frank helped me move everything into my new house and admired how small and cosy the house was, before dragging me over to his place. As I sat in his kitchen whilst he made tea, a woman came into the room. She had short brown hair, bright green eyes and was heavily pregnant with the biggest baby bump I swear I had ever seen.

"Izzy! This is Jamia," Frank said with a smile so huge it must have physically hurt his face. "And this is the twins."

He nodded towards the bump and Jamia smiled.

"Nice to meet you," she said, before waddling over to the seat next to me and struggling to sit down.

"Wow, we really do have a lot to catch up on," I laughed. "I didn't even know you got married Frankie."

He came over with the cup of tea he had promised and placed it down before sitting opposite us. He had a look of guilt upon his face.

"I know, you know I would have invited you Izz but, firstly I didn't even know if you were in the country and secondly...it would have been so weird, you know, with Gerard."

"Yeah, no I know!" I responded. "It's all a bit weird, isn't it?"

The conversation quickly turned to general topics such as how My Chem was doing, how Frank and Jamia were preparing for the birth of the twins and how my job was. Eventually, Jamia said that she needed to go for a nap and left the room, leaving just Frank and I in the room. A few moments after she had left, he leaned in extra close to me, frightening me slightly.

"I know you slept with Gerard a few weeks back," he whispered, looking both excited and disapproving. "I can't say anything in front of Jamia because she's such good friends with Lindsey, she would kill me if she found out I knew anything about it. And she'd probably kick your ass. She may be eight months pregnant but nothing can stop that woman when she gets angry."

"Who else knows?" I asked.

"Just me," he said. "Gerard won't dare tell anyone else because he doesn't want it to get back to Lindsey."

"Wait a minute," I said. "He told me that he was going to tell her."

"He told me that he felt that he should tell her, but he didn't know how," Frank added. "Every time he tried to, he froze up and failed. To be honest Isabel I think he's planning on not telling her at all."

"B-but he made it seem like we were going to get back together," I gulped.

"I don't know if he's going to leave Lindsey or not, but I think he wants to. I just don't think he's going to be totally honest with her. Which is gonna be a problem because Lindsey and Jamia are like best friends. She's friends with everyone. I know it's probably hard for you to think of her in a good light, but she's a really nice woman and I don't want Gerard to fuck her around. I especially don't want Gerard to fuck you around."

He looked at me with a concerned expression that made me realise how good of a person Frankie was. We had never been that close back in the day, but we had practically lived together in the first My Chem tour van for months, and I realised in this moment how much of a good friend he was to be so kind to me after so many year apart.

"Hey, I gotta go," I said, standing up to leave. "I've been feeling really queasy the past few days, I think I ate something weird."

I knew that Frankie thought I was making excuses because I was upset, and part of the reason why I wanted to leave was for that reason. Another reason was that I did genuinely feel ill. I couldn't help but wonder whether Gerard and I breaking up over not wanting children was about to become horribly ironic...