Chapter 8: Sunrise

The sun rose slowly, appearing over the building adjacent to mine and filling the air with a dull warmth that took away the icy cold winter night. I stared at the rays of sunlight as they beamed over the building and into the New York City sky. It was around 7.30 in the morning, but I had been awake since 5am when I first heard the sound of birds singing outside. I stood on the tiny balcony, my hands gripping a mug of coffee as my elbows rested on the harsh, cold metal railing that was the only thing stopping me from plunging down to the pavement from my apartment on the nineth floor. I closed my eyes and took a moment to intake as much of the fresh morning air as I could, before I stepped back into the apartment. I put my mug down on the kitchen counter and tiptoed back into the bedroom, where I quietly got back into bed and pulled my duvet over me.

"You're cold."

I felt a warm body press up against me. An arm wrapped around my side and pulled me close, and a head nuzzled into my shoulder, with familiar lips planting soft kisses on my neck and shoulder. I smiled to myself, before rolling over gently so that his arm still rested on my side, but so that my eyes could look directly into his. His eyes were wide, dancing from side to side as they decided which one of my eyes to focus on. They were glistening against the reflection of sunlight coming in from the window, and the pupils were wider than average as they stared into mine.

"I don't have any words," I breathed quietly.

"Last night was the most incredible, romantic night I've spent with anybody," he whispered. "I felt like I was out of my own body, I had no control...but it was amazing."

"I spent the past four Winters wishing I was cuddled up to you in bed when it was cold outside," I replied. "It feels like a dream right now."

We laid in bed for the next four hours, talking about random things; how the other members of the band had been doing, what my job was like, how our parents were doing...general things that we needed to catch up on. After those four hours, which actually felt like minutes, we got up and I insisted on making pancakes for breakfast. For the first time in four years, I had my appetite back.

Gerard sat at the little bar stool by the kitchen counter, resting his hands on the counter and tapping his fingers impatiently on the counter as I flipped pancakes. I stacked them up and coated them in syrup and blueberries before handing them to Gerard. I watched contently as he ate his food, giggling as he occasionally fed me some. After we ate, he headed out onto the balcony for a cigarette and I followed him, wrapping my arms around his body from behind as he lit up a cigarette. He handed me one and I lit mine. After a few seconds, I decided to ask the question we had clearly both been thinking but neither of us had dare to say.

"What now?"

He turned to look at me, a slight smile on his face, but his eyes looked worried.

"Isabel," he sighed. "Last night was literally the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. To hold you again, to kiss you, have sex with you...it was incredible. But I have a girlfriend. I should never have cheated on her, it's not in my nature and I feel terrible."

Although I was slightly hurt, I understood his point and my sudden feeling of hurt soon turned to respect.

"Are you going to tell her?" I asked.

"I have to," he sighed, inhaling deeply on his cigarette. "I just don't know how."

After breakfast, Gerard reluctantly said his goodbyes and left, allowing me to freak the fuck out all by myself. I let out a few screams and ran around my apartment like a lunatic, before eventually deciding to sort my life out. I made a long overdue phonecall to Holly and arranged to meet her next weekend, before I got dressed and decided it was time to look for a new place. I had been living in this tiny, disgusting flat in New York City ever since I had moved out of mine and Gerard's home in Jersey, and it didn't matter to me because I didn't care about life anymore. All of a sudden, with this crazy new zest for life, I wanted to sort things out. I arranged to meet a realtor in a few days to look at houses- some in the city and sone back in Jersey. Then, I called Olivia and arranged to meet her for a coffee. She insisted that I meet her instantly as she could tell from the tone of my voice that something exciting had happened, so I rushed to meet her at the nearest coffee shop to my apartment.

"No. Fucking. Way,"

"Yes way!" I insisted, laughing slightly at her wide eyes and open jaw.

"No, Fucking, Way, you fucked Gerard Way!" she laughed.

"Shhh!!!" I whispered, all of a sudden wary of the fact that Gerard was not only in a relationship, but he was famous.

"What was it like?" she asked, making me blush and feel like a schoolkid all over again.

"Amazing," I grinned, my cheeks flushing and my heartbeat getting faster. "It was like, the most passionate, raunchy sex in the world but at the same time it was SO romantic, and emotional, and it was like we both needed it, you know?"

"You DID need it!" she joked. "Four years since you were with Gerard and I know you didn't sleep with anyone in that time!"

"Yeah I know," I sighed. "I lost interest in sex."

"Until last night!" she winked, causing me to hit her jokingly around the arm.

"He said he has to tell his girlfriend," I said. "He didn't say anything about breaking up with her but-"

"Oh come on, he's definitely going to," she said. "He loves you more than anything Izzy, you guys are gonna be back together! You can be Professor Way again instead of Professor Spencer!"

"Don't rush things," I said with a serious tone, but my heart jumped a bit when I heard her say 'Professor Way'. 

Truthfully, I had no idea what was going to happen next. All I knew at this moment was that Gerard and I had spent an amazing night together, and that I hadn't felt this happy in over four years.