Chapter 5-Typically Imperfect

Start from the beginning

Isaac looked at me with hopeful eyes, he was old enough to understand that our mom wasn't right in the mind so for him to get excited over this small thing told me that he really missed her. "She did?! Why didn't you tell me earlier? And how come I can never see her, I miss her Tita." His eyes started to water and his mouth quivered. "Oh no Isaac please don't cry! Mommy will be coming home as soon as she can. It's taking her a while to get back on her feet that’s all." It pained me to lie right to my brother’s face but if I couldn't handle that situation how was my baby brother going to take it? I wasn't about to take that chance. Isaac swiped at his tears, "Will you tell her that I love and miss her the next time you visit her then?" I smoothed his crazy bed hair back down on his head, "Of course Isaac, now cheer up. Watch your SpongeBob while I got makes some bacon and eggs, okay?" He nodded, his eyes already glued to the television.

I busied myself with breakfast feeling thirty years older because I felt like I had three roles to play, Isaac's dad, mom, and sister all at once. I could, no, will do this because my brother doesn't need to suffer like I did. I wanted the best for him; I just hoped that what I was doing was good enough.

Once breakfast was done with I headed back up to my room to take a quick shower. No matter how many times I tried to relax under the hot water I couldn't. My mom’s sullen face kept flashing at the back of my head every time I closed my eyes. I was drying off as I heard my phone beeping. I picked it up immediately, "Hello?"

"Hey Kate! I heard you took the day off without telling me about it! I was going to stay angry at you and not call you and tell you to get your ass over here but then I thought that we barely hang out as is...so I called anyways. " Lia kept rambling.

"Hey Lia, I'd like to but I'm super drained right now." I rubbed my face as I flopped back on my bed.

"OH, I see. It's that time of the month? I could come over and bring some ice cream and watch our favorite movie?"

"No, its not that time of the month, but ice cream and The Notebook do sound good right about now." I cleaned up the house a bit and made my brother watch T.V. in my room hoping that he wouldn't spill the coke I bribed him with. The doorbell rang and I went down to answer the door. Instead Lia just made herself at home and opened the door without waiting for me. 

"Well then, I guess you can make yourself comfortable." Lia didn't even try to make a snarky remark back, she just walked right up to me and hugged me. This was why we were best friends. Actually we've been best friends since I could remember. Both of our dads had been surfing friends for a long time and naturally they brought their children to pass on the tradition. I loved it from the start, but Lia wasn't in love with the water like I was so she occasionally went surfing. Lia ruffled my hair and tossed some Haagen Daz ice cream at me. She knew what my favorite was already; I made some popcorn and started up our movie.

I vented to her about my problems like a normal teenage girl, cried over Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams epic love story all the while inhaling ice cream. When the movie finally finished Lia turned off the T.V. and turned to face me.

"Alright, you told me that you had a horrible morning with your mom and I understand, but you need to stop feeling pity for yourself. This has been going on too long Kate. I think you need to talk to your dad, to at least talk it out with him."

I looked at her with wide eyes, "Are you being serious right now? You know what happened, and you still act like it’s not a big deal. Just drop it Lia, I don't wanna go down memory lane and talk about this shit. It's done with." I got off the sofa and threw away the rest of the popcorn and ice cream. Lia and Ryan were the only ones that knew about my past and I wasn't about to talk about it like we were talking about a fucking book that we just read.