Chapter 5-Typically Imperfect

*Authors Note*-I think I'm getting way ahead of myself. I just uploaded the last chapter last night and I'm already starting this chapter. Talk about being an overachiever. (wish i was like this in school -__-) Anyways, don't miss out on this chapter. It's going to reveal some things about why Kate is so scared to be in a relationship and why she resents her parents so much.

Don't forget to comment and vote, but only if this book seriously deserves it.

<3,

Amber

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The week went by uneventfully. I missed surfing and hanging out with Lia, and if I was truly being honest with myself, I missed Xander a lot too. I was keeping busy, taking care of Isaac whose birthday was coming up in about two weeks, and I had saved up enough money to buy him something really special. I couldn't wait to see the expression on his face once he sees what I got him!

I took off from my morning shift that day to drive to a care home. I parked, walked into the care home, went to the receptionist and asked for Kristine Becker. She led me down to her room and went back to her desk. I stood there shifting from one foot to the other, nervous as hell. I haven't seen my mom in about six months and I was scared of what I might see. I shook my head, wiped my sweaty hands on my jeans and opened the door quietly.

I saw my mom sitting by the window, not even looking in my direction when I walked in. I went up to her, kissed her on the forehead and bent down to be at eye level with her. "Hi Mom" I choked out. My eyes started to water up as I saw that her expression never changed. She looked at me with those dull brown eyes and nodded her head. I tried to suck it up and not cry in front of her. "I came by to see how you were doing today, everyone said you're doing great here."

I sighed; this was how it always was with her. "Isaac's birthday is coming up soon, he's doing so great mom." At the mention of his name she looked up at me and smiled a little. I smiled right back, "He said he misses you and that he wants you back home, and I told him you were trying your hardest to come back home soon." I took her hand in mine and felt how cold it was, "Mom, I love you. Do you understand that? Isaac is almost ten now, and he needs his mother. I can't...I can't be that for him mom, its so hard! You have no idea. I-I'm always on the brink of exhaustion, paying bills and taking care of Isaac. Mom I NEED you." I kept venting to her as tears slid down my cheeks, I didn't mean to come here and tell my mom all of this. I thought I was strong enough to keep it together and just tell her to get better and stronger so she could come back home. But I couldn't and I broke down for the first time since my parents separated.

I sucked in a huge gulp of air as I tried to stop myself from bawling. I looked up into my mom's face and saw that she didn't have an ounce of emotion there. No concern that her daughter was basically working herself to death trying to keep the house and take care of my brother. All she did was pat my on my head and go back to looking through the window. Tears kept streaming down my face as I stood back up, hugged my mom and went back outside. As soon as I was outside I slid back against the wall and cried my eyes out. This was all HIS fault! If my father hadn't left us out here to survive on our own I wouldn't be in this situation! I would be a normal eighteen year old, getting ready for my first year in college, hanging out with my friends and having a great summer. Instead I go to work everyday, working fourteen hours a day just to scrape by. I have no time to myself and if I do have time I hardly get to spend it doing what I want. I didn't want to be selfish but I was so tired of everything. I hated having to make sacrifices.

I cried until I didn't have any tears left in me. I got up slowly and dragged myself out of the care home to my jeep. I sunk in my seat and forced myself to drive back home. I slammed the door shut and threw myself on the couch. Isaac was still asleep so I wasn't worried about disturbing him, or at least I thought so. I felt someone sit on my stomach and turn the t.v. on to SpongeBob. I opened my eyes and Isaac stared back at me with a smile on his face. "Morning Tita!" Tita, Isaac always called me that. Isaac was just a baby and he was slowly learning how to talk but he could never say sister. Instead he blurted out Tita and it stuck with him ever since. I started to tickle him, "Guess where I went today." He stopped laughing and asked, "Where did you go today Tita?" I stopped tickling him and held him in a bundle although he was getting a little too old for that. "I went to see Mom today, she was doing great and told me to tell you happy early birthday."