Chapter 3-Typically Imperfect

*Authors Note* Hi guys, so I've really been getting into this book. This chapter is gonna start things up between Xander and Kate (;

Please vote and comment!

<3 Amber

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I actually jumped at the sound of his voice. Subtle shivers ran down my arms. I can't believe he was able to affect me like this. I silently cursed under my breath, and smiled up at him. "Hey Xander nice to see you again. I didn't know that this party was for you."

Everyone looked at us curiously. Ryan finally broke the ice "Kate? Do you know each other or something?" I smirked at him "Yeah, well sort of. He saved me actually."

Now I definitely had everyone’s attention. Lia spoke up "Wait, what? Why didn't I hear any of this? How did he save you Kate?"

"Well I feel asleep while driving home last night and I drove off the road, don't worry though I didn't get injured. Xander was just checking to see if I was okay." I smirked again as I recalled what happened last night. I turned to Xander to see his expression. I was shocked to see that Xander didn't look happy at all. Instead he looked slightly embarrassed and irritated. I gave him a confused look but he just looked away.

"Yeah that’s basically what happened. But Kate, can I talk to you for a minute alone?" He did look at me now and I just nodded slightly wondering what was going on.

We followed the shoreline walking farther and farther away from the warmth of the fire and the commotion of our friends. "So what did you want to talk about?" I asked quietly after a few minutes of silence. 

Xander was quite for a moment, and it threw me off. I haven't seen this side of him before. I thought he was the optimistic type that wouldn't mind if someone like me turned him down. "Why did you tell your friends that I "saved" you?"

"Well I was exaggerating a bit..."

"Exactly! I don't need you to exaggerate any of that stuff Kate. You know I just wanted to make sure that you were okay. You said it like I had an oversized ego, and I'm not like that okay?"

I just stared at him. Why was he blowing up like this? "Look, I didn't mean it like that. I just got thrown off for a bit because I wasn't expecting to see you okay? And I don't think you have an oversized ego."

His irritated look dimmed and turned into understanding. "Right, sorry. I just want to get off to a good start over here. I haven't been here in a long time so I didn't want people to get the wrong impression."

I gave him a weird look, wrong impression? Why would he have to worry about that? I decided to change the topic. "You said that you haven't been here in a long time? Where did you go?"

Xander looked a little uncomfortable answering but he did anyways, "My mom made us move, she never told us why. But I don't regret it. Although I did miss this weather and the people here." He gave me a small smile. "Look, I know you said no already but do you want to hang out sometime? Just as friends." he said quickly, giving me a look.

Well then, way to change the topic. Shit, I forgot that he sort of asked me out the other night. "I would like to but..."

"I know that you told me you don’t have any free time but I think I can work around that. And I don't know why I'm trying so hard but your honestly the only person I want to hang out with right now." he blurted out quickly. He blushed ever so slightly and averted his gaze.

I sighed, "You don't understand Xander. You can't work around my time because I don't have any left for myself. And you don't even know half of my problems so just drop it okay? " I hated being a bitch to him but I knew if I didn't turn him down now, I wouldn't be able to later. I looked at him again and saw the look that he probably had when I had driven away from him the other night. “I’m sorry, that came out wrong. I just have a lot of stuff going on right now, and don't get me wrong. I'd like to hang out with you too but this timing isn't right."