[10]

"Evan, are you even listening?" Jared hissed, poking my shoulder and bringing me back to the real world. I had kept drifting into deep thought and basically phasing out of reality. "The 'Found' project page had 56 people following it this morning, and now, it has 4,582!"

"What? How did that happen?"

"Alana told me someone had posted a video of your speech online...people started sharing it, I guess you really inspired people." I smiled weakly to myself, ignoring the fact that thousands of people had seen me struggle on stage in a desperate attempt to make Connor proud of me.

Connor.

Since the assembly for the 'Found' project, I couldn't stop thinking about Connor, and was the main reason for my spacing out. When I looked at him that day, I felt a warm, familiar feeling. One that I had only ever felt for one other person. Zoe Murphy. 

I tried to tell myself that I didn't feel the same way about him as I did about his sister, but every new message, email or call from him would send a shock of excitement through my body and convince me otherwise. My feelings for Zoe had become smaller over the last few months, so perhaps it was a possibility that they were shifting onto Connor, no matter how much I didn't want that to be the case. He was my bestfriend, and I didn't want to ruin that with my stupid feelings. 

~

Connor: Evan, are you coming over to my house later?

Evan: I wasn't planning on it. 

Connor: Well, do you want to? We could discuss stuff about the found project of whatever. I'll feed you as well so you don't have to order food, don't worry ;)

Evan: Haha, okay. Let me know when you wan't me over.

As soon as Connor sent another response about what time I should be at his house, I switched threads and informed my mother that I would be absent, yet still telling her that I'd be at Jared's. I wanted to tell her that I had a friend who wasn't initially only talking to me because out parents were friends, but now wasn't the right time. 

~

I knocked on the Murphy's front door, waiting patiently outside while fondling the zips on my coat. Before I knew it, Mr.Murphy made an appearance, his cold expressions turning warmer as he realised it was just me. The man stood to the side, encouraging me to enter the warm building. I was a few minutes early, so perhaps Connor needed to go out somewhere and that's why he told me to come over at the time he did. Even so, if he was planning to go out somewhere beforehand it was inevitable that he was going to be late back to meet me. He's usually late, so I'll usually show up late when we plan to meet up somewhere too, so it's like we're both on time. Today, I was just eager to see him. I always am, but today particularly I thought if I spent an evening with him I could properly evaluate my feelings for him. 

"Here," Mr.Murphy said, handing me a glass of juice. "You always say no if I offer to make you a drink, but Connor has mentioned that you told him once you wish you had accepted my offer, so I went ahead and made one anyway." He chuckled softly, not thinking much of it, yet I felt my face heating up with embarrassment. 

"T-Thank you," I responded, taking the cup from his hand and taking a delicate sip out of it. 

"Connor talks about you a lot. It's kind of weird...but at least he's talking to us, civilly." I put the cup to my mouth once again as if I was drinking, but actually trying to mask my face to disguise my further embarrassment. "We owe a lot to you, Evan. There were times where I thought I was being too hard on him and he might of...well....you know,  but he's become so much happier. Now I know he'll probably never want to play catch with me...but, I feel like my son is back." He smiled gratefully down at me as the front door swung open and a familiar brunette walked in. 

"Dad? What are you talking to him about? You weren't telling him anything about me were you?" He walked over, assuming his father was out to tell me funny stories about Connor when he was a child. As much as I'd like to hear those stories, the atmosphere was a more serious one. I thanked Mr. Murphy for the drink and followed Connor. Against our initial plans of staying in and ordering food, we were heading out into the dark outside once again, a plastic bag linked onto his arm with various items inside.

"It's a nice night so I thought it'd be nice to sit in the park and work on the project." We turned into our local park. I had only ever been here during the daylight when it was filled with children happily playing, or older people sat on the benches pleasantly chatting and feeding pigeons. It was lifeless, with the only conscious beings in sight being Connor and I. The area was illuminated by one or two streetlamps, but mainly the moon and star-littered sky above us. 

Connor sat down on a patch of grass, patting a space next to him as a signal that I should sit down too. He tucked a stray hair behind his ear before turning and grinning at me. Not realising that I was staring, I pulled a notebook out of my bag that I had brought to work on. 

"Why weren't you at home before?" I asked, making conversation before attempting to find a plain page. 

"I was buying this stuff," He retorted almost immediately, opening the plastic bag to show me it's contents. A layer of cakes and sweets in colourful packaging covered the bottom of it. "I mean it's not a take-away or warm food, but you like sweets right? So this is just as good!" I felt my heart jump a little as he talked, sounding so proud of himself. My bestfriend is so adorable.

~

hECK

It took me so long to write this chapter because I had no inspiration, but next chapter is going to be fluffy and cute so that should be out asap!

Also, thanks for 1k reads! 

-TeenyWeenyCoconut