selfish little heart.

piper.

"how do you break up with someone?"

i inhaled sharply. i hoped annabeth didn't notice.

"...with percy?" i asked quietly.

she laughed hollowly. "i know, i know, it sounds... unimaginable. ridiculous, even. after all we've been through... oh gods, it's awful. i..."

"it's okay. how you feel can't always be explained."

"i just don't know anymore." she said, defeated.

"that's okay. it's okay. you can slowly figure it out. and if you don't feel anything for percy, then you can do what you need to do." i say softly. "but if you know that... that you don't feel... love for him then... i'm sure he will understand, no matter how disappointed. it'll be easier for him if you do. he'll rather know than be in a one sided relationship."

i hate myself for feeling elated while annabeth is miserable. some selfish part of my heart sang. annabeth might break up with percy. and then she... we could... i tried to wave the thoughts away. it wasn't right to feel happy about your best friend losing love for her boyfriend of two years. the selfish part of my heart mocked me. but she isn't just your best friend, is she?

shut up. shut. up.

"don't you need a place to stay, piper?" annabeth asked. we both snapped out of our feelings.

"yeah, i'm gonna pack up all my stuff this week. i guess i'll have to find an apartment... but i guess until then..."

"...you stay with me." annabeth said. "us," she corrected. she forgot about percy. my selfish heart soared.

"is that... will that be a problem?" i asked, uneasy. "or, you know, awkward?"

"you're my best friend, piper. and percy cares about you a lot, too. don't forget your friends. we're always here for eachother." she leaned in closer. her grey eyes seemed to pierce through darkness. her voice was hushed against the chirping crickets and the rushing water of the fountains. goosebumps raised on my skin. "i'll always be here for you."