Hunter's eyes were unamused that his father questioned his Beta, but his parents always went to Sam. He was like a member of the family.

"What did he ask you?" He demanded with a calmer tone.

"Well," Sam sighed, "he was talking about you and how you've been acting a bit different which is understandable considering what you're going through. I didn't say anything but then he asked if you were in trouble or hiding anything. I said there was nothing wrong with you and that everything was fine. He clearly didn't believe me."

"Clearly," Hunter muttered. "He knows something's up, so does mum."

Sam shook his head. If Margo knows there's something wrong, she won't stop until she figures it out. "This isn't good. They'll find out soon."

"I don't want them to find out before the connection happens." Hunter hated feeling so distracted. He had to be strong for his pack.

"Well, maybe you should tell them."

"No, I won't be able to cope if they reject it."

"In all honesty Alpha," Sam called him Alpha when he was about to express his opinion as a sign of respect. "I'm not sure they will. They love you enough to understand."

Hunter watched his feet while they walked. "Do you accept it just because I'm your Alpha?"

"No," Sam frowned. "I accept it because I'm happy for you. Finding your mate is a special time for any wolf, including you because it doesn't matter who it is. You don't get to choose."

Hunter stopped and connected their gaze. His Grey eyes shimmered in the dimming light. "Thank you, Sam. Your support means a lot."

Sam smiled proudly. He loved being praised by his alpha. "It's a shame that not everyone is supportive of this."

There was one member of the pack that strongly disagreed with Hunter finding his mate and that was Brad. He was, unfortunately, a Delta which means he was third in command. Sam wished he was one of the Omegas who was considered to be the weakest members.

"Brad is really pushing his luck." Hunter could feel his anger rising, just from thinking about it. "God help him if he tries to hurt my mate when the connection is set. It's hard enough not to rip his sorry heart out every time I see him."

Sam and Brad mostly didn't see eye to eye but they always have each other's backs because of course, they were pack members.

"I don't know who he thinks he is," Sam muttered, "but I will fully support any form of torture directed in his direction."

Hunter chuckled. He liked how Sam was protective over his mate too because when they are officially introduced into the pack, it'll be the wolves second roll to keep his mate safe.

"If he's not careful, he'll be looking for another pack soon."

"I will also fully support that."

They both smiled and continued to walk across the dark field. Hunter wasn't going to stray too far from home as his mum wouldn't appreciate that.

He liked the crisp air and the feel of the wind blowing against his skin. He wanted to change and run freely for miles but it wasn't safe at this time, not when rival packs have recently been spotted in their area.

"So," Sam spoke after his sharp eyes scanned the approaching trees. "When do you think the bond will deepen so you can connect?"

"Any day now," Hunter replied. "I'm able to talk to my mate more often. But it's harder because I can't say anything that'll reveal who I am until it's official."

"I do feel sorry for your mate. He seems to be struggling more each day."

"It's only because he is starting to feel it too. It hurts when he looks depressed every morning and I'm the one who's able to change that."

Sam stopped and dared to rest a hand on his Alpha's shoulder. He didn't think it was right that Hunter's mate was hearing a voice but kept in the dark. It wasn't really his place to voice the concern.

"You can't help how he feels for now. I guess you just need to wait it out until you can bond with him. As soon as you're ready, I'll get the pack together and we'll safely get you both together so you can connect away from your parents or his family."

"That doesn't make me feel any better about what I've done to his confidence." Hunter felt bad every time he thought about how much his mate hated himself.

Sam took his hand back and crossed his arms with thought. "How will you tell him? Will you tell him in his head?"

"No of course not," Hunter frowned. "Can you imagine how much that will freak him out?"

"It was just a thought," Sam said quietly.

"But then again, it's not like I can walk up to him and say 'by the way Jacob, I'm a werewolf, you're my mate, and I'm the voice inside of your head'."