Deklan never released the grip, as his heavy breaths rolled over Leiv’s face. Her cheeks heated, turning scarlet, as their proximity grew closer. It was hard for her not to look into his eyes; the intensity it held was unmatched. The beats of her erratic heart continued to increase, never keeping a steady rhythm, as the endless silence was beginning to deafen her ears.

Leiv shrugged away from Deklan’s hold, as his heated gaze turned into confusion. He knew what he was feeling, but likely not why. Both mimicked each other’s movements and turned away.

Through the silence, a groan came from the bed to their right. The girl they rescued was slowly regaining consciousness. As she tried sitting up on her own, Leiv appeared next to the bed, looking at the scared girl with concern filled eyes.

“Are you alright?” Leiv asked, adding another pillow underneath the girl’s head.

Though she eyed Leiv with weariness, the girl didn’t protest to the help that was given. Closing her eyes and groaning once more, she put a hand to her head. Deklan stepped closer to the soft silk mattress, gently laying a hand on the girl’s arm, meant to be a comforting gesture. Her eyes snapped up as she began to shake, backing up to grab Leiv’s waist and clinging to it.

Leiv immediately wrapped her arms around the frightened figure that now was attached to her, still trembling from head to toe. She stroked the girl’s hair, whispering words of encouragement. Telling her that it would be all right, and no one in the room would dare hurt her.

“I need you to tell me your name,” Leiv calmly said, gently coaxing the girl.

The sound of sniffles finally ceased, as the girl cleared her throat. “Hana,” she replied, voice so soft it was practically a whisper.

Deklan kept his distance, standing a few feet away. “Why does that name sound so familiar?” He asked with a voice a tad too harsh for the quiet room they occupied.

The girl shook briefly as Leiv frowned at him. “I don’t know. There is no one I know by that name.” She maintained the gentle strokes on Hana’s hair - preserving what little safety they had for the girl to feel some comfort in an unknown territory.

Momentarily closing his eyes, he took back the words. “My mistake, maybe I had it confused with someone else.”

The girl ceased her trembling, turning to look at Deklan. “No, it’s not your fault I’m like this,” she said timidly, “I didn’t mean to overreact. It has been a long time since a man has laid their hands on me with pure intentions.”

“I would never hurt you!” He replied, astounded by the immediate confession.

Deklan’s calm exterior was a mere facade compared to the rage he felt inside, she could sense the anger pouring out of him in waves. His rigid posture and the way he gripped his sword tighter easily made his mood clear. He might have a warriors’ strength, but there was no doubt he also had a warm heart; it was plainly obvious.

“My name Is Leiv, and that is Deklan,” she said, pointing towards his direction. “I need you to answer a few questions, do you think that’s possible?” Leiv sat next to Hana on the bed; calmly laying her hand over the sheets that covered the girl’s lower half.

Hana nodded, wiping the tears away.

“Alright. Do you know who I am?”

Slowly, Hana shook her head.

Leiv rethought the question. “Have you seen me before?”

The girl nodded. “I’ve seen you in my dreams, even some moments when I’m awake.”