North Star

Here we are, the "official" music video for my original track, titled North Star, and there's considerably more behind-the-scenes trivia for this one!

First up, a little bit about the song. I wrote North Star for my mom one year for Mother's day. 

This one was actually filmed over the course of about 6 months, in various different locations, most of which were in Pittsburgh. Some of the locations featured in this video are:

The view from Mount Washington—an iconic skyline view of downtown Pittsburgh. At night, city lights, PNC Park, Point Park and bridges are clearly visible from this high vantage point. Lots of pricey restaurants in this area due to the fantastic view. 

The Point Park Fountain—This is the point where the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers converge into the Ohio river. Once the home of Fort Pitt and a strategic riverside location in several wars, today this historical park hosts many recreational events, including the Three Rivers Art Festival. During summer, the park's fountain is on, drawing water from an aquifer that passes beneath this park, and is complete with light displays. 

And a couple of behind-the-scenes notes: 

The scenes where I'm standing in water—This was actually also at Point Park. A little ways into the park, there's this little underpass, and the walkway arches over this pool of water. So, my roommate took the camera and stayed up on the walkway, and I hopped into the water (this was during summer, so the water actually wasn't bad!) I should note that I'm not wearing glasses (in any of the shots, actually), so I'm basically blind (I know, I know, contacts exist, but they'd have to go in my eye...I don't do things in my eye.) Which was a good thing, because after playing for a while, I turned and saw a bunch of blurry figures standing on the archway watching me. I'd gotten a bit of an audience (who doesn't want to gawk at the crazy girl standing in a pool of water with a violin), and if I had been able to see them clearly, that probably would have induced a bout of stage fright, hah. 

The scenes with the little lights—I went to Party City with one of my friends and bought a bunch of those little string paper lanterns, then strung them up on one of the trees in my parents' back yard. This was filmed in November... at night. And I was wearing that same sleeveless dress to match the fountain and mountain shots. Lucky for me, my mom was baking something in the oven, so every 5-10 minutes, I'd come running inside and stand by the oven to thaw out.

And there we go, I think that's everything interesting that happens in this video. If anyone's curious or has any questions, feel free to ask in the comments, I'll do my best to answer :) 

Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful Easter if you're celebrating this weekend!