2.23: What kind of living arrangement that won't drive me insane?

B E L L A

Four years ago, my childhood friend made a decision that was the very definition of 'sacrifice'. It was rare to see a young person to choose such a selfless option when there were easier choices.

Choices. Plural.

But then again, Ryder Black was a fucking idiot.

I got to know him when we were children, because his parents had always brought him to his grandmother's house every summer. He was a-okay, if not a little too guarded and quiet for someone who had a really great bone structure. I mean, if he had attempted to be nicer or friendlier or even smiled a bit more, he would have been a ruler in every place he went. He had that charisma, and his looks definitely put him above his brasher, louder contenders.

But then Ryder Black was a fucking idiot, because he couldn't care less about reputation, or popularity, and decided that shoving off the biggest bully of the Yard had been the best way to start his first summer at Greenville.

That was when he had been a thin, bony, snot-nosed kid of 10 years old.

Of course, the big bully had obliterated his ass that day, and even though bloodied and bruised here and there, young Ryder Black had played it cool. As if that dirt he had been forced to eat had tasted like Royce chocolate.

When Ryder had came back a year later, he had shot up 7 inches and added pounds and pounds of muscles. He had beat that fattened bully right up and crowned 'King of the Yard'. Of course, being an antisocial idiot that he was, he never showed up on the yard again, and abandoned his throne (which I had gleefully taken).

Later, I found out that the only reason Ryder had gone against his survival instinct and shoved the bully at the first place was because the bully had taken away my barbie doll. That idiotic excuse of a man then put his scrawny ass on the line just because he couldn't bear seeing an immigrant stranger being treated unfairly.

My childhood friend is a fucking idiot. And a bit of a racist.

Fast forward years later, I still have trouble staying away from nasty men, but Ryder's life had changed for the better. He had finally moved on from toxic relationships and had looked happy, content even, with life.

The reason was that mumbling, straight-haired girl named April Hale.

April Hale wasn't your usual charmer, that's for sure. She didn't know how to say the right things or even the right outfit to wear when she was going to meet her boyfriend's intimidating childhood friend (me! I meant me! I'm not gonna sugarcoat it; I'm pretty intimidating because I've got the looks and the sass, yo!).

But she made Ryder happy, and that was good enough for me. I usually didn't approve of his taste in women. Ryder had the looks that could make Victoria Secret models make an idiot of themselves just to impress him, but he never used his charms for any good measures. Instead of hot blondes or stupid bimbos, he went for old ladies or shady-looking women.

Because Ryder Black is a fucking idiot.

He had found his Happiness Source, and he had found the person whom he would die for. But in the end, he hurt her and dumped her because he 'wanted to protect her'.

His words, not mine.

I still couldn't believe it. When he had came to me, face looking like Chris Pine in between takes, he had blurted out all of his problems. Which included people he never thought he would have to deal with anymore. Which sounded potentially dangerous, yes, but then again, wasn't the purpose of a partner is to accompany you when things get hard? Why didn't he give April a chance to prove herself? Why didn't he give April a chance to stay beside him despite all of his problems?