Chapter 18

***May's POV

We made it to the Pokemon Center, and we were lucky enough to find an empty room. We managed to put Sarah to bed, and she eventually fell asleep.

Serena and I take turns showering, and now we're waiting for Jason to arrive.

"I have to admit, tonight was a nice change of pace," Serena says, playing with her hair.

"Yeah, but I didn't appreciate Jason dancing with me," I say, crossing my arms.

"Really? I liked it. I thought it was cute," Serena says, blushing.

"I'll admit, it was. But I didn't want to dance with him. I want to dance like that with someone else," I say, sighing.

Ash.

We can't keep stopping everywhere as if we're on vacation.

"Why are we here anyways? We need to look for Ash. We just wasted another day here!" I exclaim.

I can't let Brock's death go unexplained. I need answers.

"Oh Ash. Please be ok," Serena says.

Why is she even worried? She seemed to have forgotten about him a second ago.

"Why would Jason ever want to come here anyways? It's so chaotic and nasty!"

"Because, it's the best place to forget."

We turn around, and we see Jason standing by Sarah's bed. An Umberon is next to him, weakly standing. The stench of alcohol hits my nose.

"Umberon! What are you doing here?" Serena asks, quickly getting up and picking Umberon up.

"He followed us here. Stubborn." Jason answers, as he makes his way towards Sarah.

He swaggers a lot as he walks. In the moonlight, I see his face is bruised and his wound from the battle at the Pewter City's Gym is bleeding again.

"Jason, how did you get in here? Where did you go?" I say, standing up, clenching my fists.

I don't know if I can trust him at the moment.

"Umberon teleported me here once he caught up to me. After I beat up the punks that were going after Sarah, I got a few drinks for myself" he explains, as he gently runs his fingers along Sarah's creamy white skin.

"I'm sorry. I know you haven't fully forgiven me. It's ok. I wouldn't forgive me if I were you either," Jason talks to Sarah, then he bends over and kisses her forehead.

"Jason! Umberon is in very bad shape. He needs to get medical care now!" Serena says as she gently rubs Umberon's fur. He's shakes at every touch.

"He's not the only one in bad shape," I mutter to myself.

Jason sharply turns and looks directly at me. His eyes are red and bloodshot.

"You don't like me. I get it. Why come here, and get drunk while your boyfriend is out doing Arceus knows what. Well, here's why: to forget!" Jason stumbles a little, but manages to stay on his feet. One of his Pokeballs opens up, and Pichu pops out. Worry is written across his face.

"You said that already," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Serena, May, you both know some things about me. You know I'm eighteen, a Pokemon trainer, traveled to multiple regions, have a passion for music and what not. Now, what would you think of me if I told you I'm a murderer?"

What?

My heart races. I feel cold sweat form at my forehead. Serena stops and stares at Jason.

"Today's an anniversary of a very important event. You see, when I started my pokemon journey, two other trainers did as well. Sarah, here, was one of them and she chose Bulbasaur. There was another, named Drew, who chose Squirtle. We were close friends, and we would travel together sometimes. But, once we reached Kalos, that's when it happened."

Serena has a puzzled look on her face.

Jason gasps for breath, and leans against the bed to stay up. Pichu rushes over to help his trainer. Umberon struggles to get up, but Serena keeps him down.

"When I learned about Mega Evolution, and that Charizard is able to do it, I became obsessed with it. I needed to have that stone, that Charizardite. I eventually found a cave that had the stone, and I ran into it, ignoring any dangers that could've been. Worried about me, Drew and Sarah ran after me."

Jason begins to slowly shake.

"I didn't realize the cave was unstable. We ran in, and I saw it, right there, right in front of my eyes. As soon as I grabbed it and moved it, the whole cave began to crumble. In a panic, we all unleashed our starters, and tried to get out the way we came in..."

Jason's voice is starting to crack, and he's squeezing his eyes shut as hard as he can, but tears still manage to escape.

"I blasted my way out. I got out with Charizard, but, Sarah and Drew didn't. They were still trapped inside. I unleashed all my Pokemon and we began to dig, and dig, until we eventually found them. Drew and Sarah were alive! But, their Pokemon, their best friends, were not."

Jason falls to the ground, his back pressed against the bed.

"Sarah's Venusaur somehow managed to protect Sarah from the rumble, but forced herself so much to keep the heavy rocks off of her trainer, that as soon as I found them and blew the rocks off, Venusaur collapsed and didn't get up. Drew's Blastioes found a small hole where she knew wouldn't collapse, so she threw Drew in there, right before she was crushed by the rocks. We found her body, all smashed against the floor. Her shell was cracked open, where you could easily see her soft body inside."

Jason's words are overcome by his crying. He buries his face into his knees.

"I killed those Pokemon two years ago! I did this to them! Sarah wouldn't have gone into a depression for a year because of me! Drew wouldn't have disappeared because of me. All these bad things happened because the only thing I cared about was how to improve myself, not thinking about how my choices would affect the ones I cared about."

Pichu slowly goes over to Jason and hugs his leg.

"That's why, when I allowed Maximum to do the things he did to you Serena, I hated myself. I've slowly become numb to this and I can't allow this to happen. I can't hurt anymore people because of me!"

Jason tries to get up, but Pichu won't let him.

"Let go of me. I need another freaking drink."

Serena rushes over and hugs Jason tightly, pinning him down.

"Let go! I'm a monster. I don't deserve this."

Serena doesn't say anything, as her grip tightens on him. I walk over, and I hug Jason as well.

"Jason, you are not a monster. You are simply a person who made a mistake. You need to move on from that event, and prove to Sarah and your friend Drew that you are not a monster, and you truly do care about them," I say, as Jason continues to fill the room with his sobs and tears.