fifteen » chance

Start from the beginning

Her words probably weren't meant to leave a mark, but I definitely felt different inside after she spoke them.

She suddenly smiled again, as if the past thirty-seconds hadn't happened, and said, "Come on, we can go to my place and catch up."

Gathering her belongings, she led the way and I followed closely behind. There wasn't much talking, but I preferred it that way. The silence was comforting and I appreciated her presence.

Sooner that I thought, we reached Deka's home, a red tent placed in the midst of others. She seemed proud as she invited me in and settled her things inside. I looked around the interior and smiled subconsciously, feeling a familiarity in the same way I did when in my room at the tower.

"You know this place?" she asked, noticing my expression. "Not much has changed since you left. Got some beanbags to chill on, that's about it."

She motioned to two beanbags and jumped on top of one of them, a grin on her lips. I was surprised, but sat on the other beanbag opposite her.

"They have beanbags here?" I voiced my confusion, knowing that this was a thing in my time. I couldn't imagine a grounder having a beanbag. Then again, I couldn't imagine a grounder like Deka.

"No, actually," she said, chuckling shortly after. "I, uh, I made these right before you, uh, went... You told me about them and how you used to have one in your bedroom. So, I made these as a surprise for you and I..."

She was trying hard to hide the sadness in her eyes with a smile, but I could see right through her. I felt guilty that she'd done this for me, but I couldn't even remember the conversation we had about them.

"Thank you," I spoke, smiling gratefully. She was surprised and perked up at my reaction. "They are awesome."

Her smile widened and the happiness returned to her expression again, making me smile, too. She looked beautiful when she smiled and I wished she would do it more. It was my fault she wasn't, wasn't it?

"I made some more beanbags whilst you were gone," she told me, genuinely thrilled at the idea, "and I sold them to some other grounders. They are my best-selling product and I'm working on some more."

My own smile remained on my face as she told me, and I happened to say, "Maybe I can help you make some more." It was too late to take back what I said, but I didn't regret it.

She laughed wholeheartedly, obviously appreciating the comfortableness between us. It felt as if no time had passed, and though it was odd, I liked it.

"Of course!" she exclaimed, sitting up straight and grinning. "I've got loads of ideas and I think you'll really like them."

I laughed at how excited she was and for a split second, I felt like I was myself again. Nobody had stolen my memories, nobody had hurt me. I was just talking with my best friend and we were having an awesome time.

"So, you wanted to speak to me and we totally got sidetracked," she pointed out, settling back into her beanbag. "Go ahead..."

I sighed and felt my excitement drifting away from me. Right, I had to figure out this whole mess that was my life.

"I was reading my journal last night," I began simply, meeting her eyes which were filled with curiosity. "You were in there and we were, well, best friends. Am I right?"

With a pride-filled expression, she nodded. "Yes."

Once again, I smiled again and continued. "After some reading, I remembered some things about you and that's how I know I can trust you enough to tell you about what's happened. Why I'm like this."