Chapter 22 - Echoes of Love (Ecos de amor)

Start from the beginning

"This place is bigger than your grandpa Max's place!" Dylan called out as he stepped out of his car.

I blushed slightly, my normal embarrassment creeping up, though no one could notice in this heat. I refrained from the usual explanation, remembering how the last time we were here I was explaining everything to Harry. Who was my boyfriend at the time. And now he wasn't.

I sighed and reach out for Ellie's hand who seemed bewildered by all the flowers, knowing her dad was going to talk shop. "Come on, my grandpa has some really cool animals all over." I smiled, leading the way.

Harry was quick on our heels, stopping in front of us to sit on the edge of my grandmother's pond. As he reached into the water, his large hand cupping the base of a white lotus, my chest began to tighten. He picked three, handing one to Ellie, who took it happily, one to Odie who simply rolled her eyes, mumbling something about us getting in trouble before she took Ellie's hand and lead her and Dylan the rest of the way, Alex eyeing us with a stupid smirk as he slowly joined the others.

"And on for you," Harry smiled, placing the third lotus in my hands.

"Maria Elena is going to be fucking pissed," I laughed at his expense, for once in my life rooting for my grandmother.

"You're weird," he shook his head with a smile.

"Why, cause I'm honest?"

"I just think it's funny how you refer to your parents and grandparents by their first name, except Esteban. Esteban, he's just your grandfather. Through and through."

I had no witty comeback for his observation. He had a point. One I'd never noticed myself. "I hope Maria Elena snaps your neck," I mumbled, walking away from him, though he kept a quick pace behind me until we were side by side.

When we finally made it through the great doors, I felt like I couldn't breathe. The house was already filled with a bunch of people. Aside from my family, Samara, Chris, Louis, Liam, Niall and Ed were also present. For a few moments, I had forgotten that they had gotten here a few hours before us, courtesy of Sam's own private plane.

As soon as my grandmother stepped forward, me hand got tighter around the flower's stem, bringing it closer to me. Though, I was a grown woman, I was still afraid of the woman. I never liked to admit it, but the memories I had of her as a child were too strong for me to forget.

"Mijita," she greeted with the widest and possibly the most genuine smile I'd ever seen her give, giving me the best hug she'd ever given me, which wasn't much by normal standards, but grand by her standards. And a kiss on my cheek. In all the years of being her granddaughter, she'd never in my life given me a kiss. "How sweet," she mentioned with an accent, looking at the flower in my hands.

Just the simple compliment from her gave me the odd urge to burn the flower. She tainted it.

Harry's POV

Katarina's face contorted as her grandmother spoke, her eyes looking down at the flower in disgust, it seemed like. She almost looked like she was about to cry. Not a full blown cry. But, a whiny cry. Like a small child who was tired and needed a nap.

Without saying a word, I took it from her hands, placing my other hand on the small of her back to lead her further into the house. It only took her seconds to compose herself, greeting everyone and leaving me behind to greet everyone on my own. I moved right passed Sarah and her step children, who completely ignored Katarina, so I had no obligation to be remotely kind to them. Then there was Victor, who Odette had attached herself to. She clearly missed him.

"Harry," he cheered, extending his hand in my direction after Katarina politely pushed herself away from him to sit with Samara. "It's great to see you again," he smiled, clapping my hand on my shoulder after he let go of my hand, his arm going around my shoulder, effectively keeping me in place.