One.

Sometimes, when your life is falling apart, all you can do is watch. All you can do is sit and watch the pieces that make you up fall to the earth. You watch them burn. You watch them shrivel up until there is nothing left of it except the scorch marks, until there is nothing left of you except those burns.

That's how I feel crumpling up that pathetic note addressed to me from my mother. The note she sent me from rehab, telling me how sorry she was, how she was trying to get better.

I threw the paper and envelope into the raging fire in front of me. I watched it shrivel until it was nothing but ashes. A perfect representation of my life, or how it was going so far.

Pathetic. That's the way to describe my last night of summer. I should be out partying, kissing a stranger, living it up. Instead, I'm wiping my swollen and misty eyes at the hands of my mother. She's not even here and is still causing me immense pain.

I was snapped from my depressing thoughts when the phone rang. I drug myself to the phone and picked it up, slamming it to the side of my face.

Before I had the chance to say hello, my hyperactive best friend, Gwendolyn began speaking.

"Where are you, Kenz! It's the last night of summer and you're not even at the party! Get your lazy butt off of the couch, put a pretty little dress on and drive over to Trevor's. Let's have some fuuunn!" Gwen slurred.

"Are you drunk?" I croaked.

"No! I'm tipsy. Now go!"

"Fine."

I ended the call with my tipsy best friend and dashed upstairs. I splashed water onto my face and applied a bit of mascara, surveying my puffy blue eyes in the mirror.

I raked through my blonde bombshell hair with a comb as I exited my cluttered bathroom, discarding the brush onto my bed as I slipped into a black skater skirt and a white crop top.

At least I can clean up nicely. I thought as I rushed downstairs.

The night was quiet as I exited the house, pulling on a pair of black flats I found tossed in the back of my closet. As soon as my shoes were secured on my feet, I twirled my keys on my index finger and I slipped into my chevvy.

Luckily, Trevor Muscillini, the quarterback for my school's football team lived only five minutes from my house. It was a quick drive, thank god. I may have convinced myself a good reason why I should go back and sulk inside of my lonely house.

I finally heard the blaring music and saw the scattered beer bottles across the road as I parked my car on the side of the curb, scurrying closer to the music.

I arrived at the door and before I could knock, the door was opened by two obnoxious boys, beer bottles in hand, and minds out of control.

"Look who showed up! It's Kenzie!" One of them slurred.

"Yeah okay, hello." I tried to push past them but they seemed as if they were made of brick.

"Where are you going? Stay and have some funnn!" The other one said, shoving a red solo cup into my hand, the brown liquid sloshing around.

"I'm alright, thanks though." I yelled, pushing past them and finally succeeding.

I felt their eyes on me as I entered the narrow corridor that lead to the kitchen. I took a swig of beer and instantly my face scrunched up at the burning taste it left in my mouth.

I set the cup down on the counter and perched myself in the corner, letting myself wonder why I came.

Then I remembered, I came for Gwen. She was currently dancing circles around another guy from the football team who seemed equally as drunk. Great. I was alone. Or so I thought.

I squealed as a large hand gripped onto my wrist and yanked me forwards. "Dance with me." He said.

I immediately knew it was Trevor. I rolled my eyes as he drug me into the crowd of sweaty, drunk teenagers yet he hadn't been drinking. I saw it in his eyes.

"What do you want, Trevor." I snarled.

"Will you stop hating me for three seconds so I can ask you a question?" He said, sending me a cocky smile.

How I hated that smile.

"Fine." I began to move my hips to the beat.

"The boys and I have a proposition." He began moving to the music as well.

"And what would that proposition be?" I raised an eyebrow.

"That is something that will have to wait for tomorrow. At the football field, after school. Don't be late. Goodbye Mackenzie." His husky voice rose mysteriously as he wiggled his eyebrows.

I watched him disappear into the growing crowd and I groaned in frustration. What could a group of eleven guys want with a nerdy girl like me?

That's when it hit me. They probably wanted tutoring! Over my dead body would I waste precious time teaching an unteachable group of morons such as Trevor.

How stupid could I be? Definitely not as stupid as them, but seriously? I could have just said no on the spot but Trevor had to go and act all mysterious and brooding.

Oh how I hated Trevor.

Removing myself from the sea of bodies, I went into the pigsty kitchen and grabbed a new solo cup. I poured it up a little less than halfway with beer.

With one chug, I downed the beer, tilting my head back so all of it would slide down my throat. This time, I didn't mind the burning sensation.

-------------------------------------------------------

Wow! It's the first chapter of Mackenzie & the Boys. I hope you all enjoyed even though it seemed like a filler chapter and it was a bit boring and short.

It's important that you understand Mackenzie's backstory (her mom is a drug addict & always promises change) but her past isn't complete yet ;)

What do you think Trevor wants? Do you enjoy the book so far? I love your feedback! Leave me a follow for updates on the book, vote, comment and stay tuned for the next chapter!

Xoxo,
Fae