01 - The Boy Next Door

Grace.

Smoothness and elegance of movement.

I'm not sure what my parents were thinking when they chose this name for me, but I am anything but graceful.

Cursing under my breath, I dared a glimpse over my shoulder and was relieved to find that the sleeping figure on the bed hadn't stirred, when I'd accidentally fallen on the floor.

I pulled myself up, this time more carefully, and slipped on my jeans over my naked legs. In less than a few seconds, I was heading out the door and to the elevator down the hallway.

I was only waiting for the elevator to arrive when the door softly clicked open behind me. "Hit and run? Is that your style?" Said a slightly unimpressed but sleepy voice.

I plastered a fake smile on my face and turned around to face Sylvia - the girl I'd just slept with. She had her arms folded across her chest, with her silky hair falling loosely down her slender shoulders. Her dark eyes were surveying me, as if she were disappointed by what she saw. Not sadness, just mere disappointment.

She had that red lacy nightgown back on - the one she teased me with before we'd gone to bed - and I tried my best not to stare at her body for too long as I dragged my eyes back up to her face.

I shrugged at her question, stuffing my hands in my jeans. "You weren't my type?" I offered and she smiled a little.

"Oh? What is your type then?"

"Eh... still figuring that out."

She studied me for a heartbeat longer before she looked away, shaking her head. "No. No, you already have someone you like, don't you?"

I heard the elevator doors swish open and I was half inclined to drop this conversation and run into it. Instead, I rocked on my feet, putting on a show, like what she'd said hadn't caught me by surprise.

"Really? Is that what you think?"

"That's the way it is," she responded with certainty. "So tell me, was I just a rebound for you or a temporary distraction?"

She unnerved me with how sure she was, how observant she really was when I thought she wasn't looking. I half turned towards the elevator. "Bye, Sylvia. It really wasn't you."

As the doors closed, I swear I heard her say, "I know."

I tried not to let the guilt get to me as I got into my car and started to drive home. But everything that Sylvia had said had struck a nerve and I felt bad for... using her. She was right, I had used her.

My stomach grumbled, like it usually did after sèx and I made a cut to the nearest McDonalds. I wasn't particularly big on McDonalds's food but it was the only thing that was open 24/7 and right now, at three-thirty am, I didn't have a lot of options.

As I pulled into the drive-through and waited after I'd ordered, I checked my phone for any texts or missed calls. I found none from my aunt or uncle - which didn't surprise me - but there was a text from Jungkook.

Out late tonight?

There was a smile on my face as I collected my order and parked in a empty space in the parking area. I dug into my cheese burger and fries, as I sent him a text back.

How'd you know?

He didn't reply right away, not even after I finished my meal and was almost home. It was only when I'd fished out the apartment key and inserted it into the lock, that I heard movement.

The door next to mine opened a crack and a sleepy face greeted me. My stomach rolled in on itself as the tall guy leaned against the doorframe, rubbing one eye. His dark brown eyes were almost almond shaped but a bit more softer and rounded.

"I knew because," he said, trying not to yawn, "I knew because your car was missing."

I didn't let the pure happiness show on my face at his response, and my expression remained carefree, albeit a bit tired and sleep deprived.

"And you stayed up all night, worrying about me?"

He scratched his head, his dark hair growing a bit past his ears. He had three lobe earrings on each ear. "You worry me. You're like a kid honestly. Senseless and reckless like one too."

I gave him a tight lipped smile. "I'll let that insult slide this once since I'm still humbled by the fact that you stayed up for me."

"Where were you?" He looked straight at me then, the question present even in his eyes.

I jiggled the door handle, just because it gave me something to do, anything. "I was... at McDonalds. Midnight snack."

"It's almost four am," he said slowly.

"Yeah, well, three am snack, then."

I was still avoiding eye contact because I knew he'd be able to tell the lie then, he probably already figured that I was lying to him now, though...

"Grace," he called me softly and my heart leapt in my throat. I gripped the handle harder than I should, until my hand started throbbing but I forced myself to look up. At him.

He held my gaze for a long moment and I wasn't sure that I was breathing, until he said, "You don't have to lie to me."

His tone was soft, soothing. He wasn't angry or upset that I'd lied to him. Knowing him, he probably figured that I had my reasons to keep my midnight rendezvous a secret from him. He understood and didn't question me further.

"You should get some sleep. We have class tomorrow," he said, giving me a quick smile before he turned and went back into his apartment and closed the door.

I unlocked my own door in a rush and slammed it shut once I was inside. Leaning back against it, I slid down to the floor and sighed out loud, as I remembered how soft his pink lips had looked. "Fuck my life," I groaned, rubbing my temples.