06 | TEARS OF THE DEAD

THE DAMSELS DISTRESS

Late on a cool Friday afternoon,Young Edythe Cullen was struck with news that would change everything. There was a note in her locker right before 7th period,and the hand writing was sloppy and seemingly familiar.

meet me in the football field after practice is over.
i have news.

And yet Edythe couldn't seem to understand who's handwriting this was. Edythe forgot in that moment that the only football player she knew,was her dearest friend. She wandered around school after her final class was over,waiting for the football players to come into the school,along with the track runners and cheerleaders. Once everyone seemed to be inside,she went out and saw him there. Harvie.

She tilted her head and skipped along. She was worried at first but now she knew it couldn't be too bad. It was only Harvie after all. It was already getting dark outside,it had been a longer practice than usual. Harvie stood up from a bench were he was drinking from a canteen. He went and stood in front of her,a look on his face that said that he wanted to tell her something. Something serious. Edythe's smile dropped and she reached forward,caressing his bare,dark arm."What is it?"She asked,eyes filled with a glint of worry.

Harvie breathed in deeply,and Edythe's could see the beginning of tears in his eyes,but they were glistening. He wasn't crying,at least not yet. Harvie was strong. "I..My mother wants to leave,and I have to go with her. I can't live without her,but I don't want to leave you."He choked out quickly,and he looked in so much pain."But Ma needs me,she's broken and she needs her son and I am so sorry,Edythe."He mumbled.

Edythe's eyes grew wide, and she could feel tears rushing down her cheeks."This can't be true. No. Please tell me this is a sick joke."She choked out,staring at her most beloved friend. Harvie shook his head,the relatively small teenage wolf rubbing tears away from her face."But before I leave,I wanted to tell you something."He muttered softly and she looked up from the ground and to his pleading face."I.. I've been in love with you since we were young."He says to her,body shaking from the tears he so badly wanted to shed.

Edythe's eyes grew wide for a second time, and she stared at her dearest,most beloved friend for a long while."But why would you love me? I'm just another despicable vampire."She said after a long silence."But you're human too. And the human in you is so dominant that the vampire side of you hasn't bothered me in so,so long. You've been my anchor for so long,even if I hadn't imprinted on you,I'd fallen in love. I didn't imprint,which means there is someone out there whom I will love so much more,but I can't imagine that,Ed. All I can ever think about is you."He said,voice softening with confidence.

Edythe's eyes trailed down, and she stared at her limp hands that hung at her sides. "Harvie. Why? Why did you have to tell me this right as you leave?"She whimpered,looking at him in almost betrayal,tears still streaming down her face. "Because I wanted to tell you but I couldn't. But I had too. This was my only chance. And besides,what kind of wolf falls in love with a vampire?"He asked,tears streaming down his face. He sniffed,wiping away the tears. Neither one looked very good at the moment. Their was snot running and tears streaming.

Edythe leaned into his chest,and began bawling."You can't leave me! You're my best friend. My partner in crime! Without you it'll be like I've lost a piece of myself."She choked,slowing getting his football jersey wet with tears. He hugged her tightly to himself,not worried about hurting her. "You know,"He whispered into her ear,laying his forehead on her shoulder."You say you don't have a gift like your parents. But you do. You have an overwhelming amount of love and affection in your heart. That's your gift."He said softly to her,kissing her forehead and making his way back into the school to change. He didn't want to look back. Didn't want to see the crying face of the girl he loved.

Edythe fell to the ground,sobbing into herself. But she didn't blame him for leaving. Leah Clearwater would be nothing without her son. She was a good woman,but she was so broken from her past,that only Harvie made it better. Only he made her smile like her whole world revolved around him. Edythe's couldn't deprive Leah of Harvie,but she wanted Harvie to stay with her.

A soft hand rested on Edythe's shoulder and she turned quickly,hoping to death that Harvie had come back. But standing there,was Jane Volturi,with a soft and caring look in her eyes. Jane pulled Edythe into a strong hug,and Edythe cried and sobbed. As she sat there,curled into Jane's chest,Edythe realized something. Maybe she could have loved Harvie,truly,maybe she did. But something in the back of her mind told her that it was the girl holding her that was the reason why she couldn't.