| ELEVEN: FLY LITTLE BIRD

CHAPTER ELEVEN:FLY LITTLE BIRD

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
FLY LITTLE BIRD

   The last DA meeting didn't do well. The whole day for Amandla wasn't good. First, she had Potions, which was never good because of the teacher (Snape). Then, she had forgotten about the essay that had been assigned in Transfiguration. Her class was in an hour, and she had to write it all, with the help of Corey, in that one hour, causing the two of them to be late to the class. Thankfully, Corey was quite the charismatic boy and had talked their way out of detention. And lastly, what made the day even worse before the meeting, Amandla had seen Draco.

    Not in the passing in the hallways way, she could handle that. For Muggle Studies, all students in their year were in the class. Amandla knew why she had taken the class, loving the muggle culture, but she never understood why Draco took it when he put up the facade of hating muggles with all his being. But, because the professor liked projects and partnering people who didn't like each other, the two of them had been partnered for the day. There had been a thick tension in the air, the two of them only talking if necessary. Amandla had decided that this had to be the worst class period she had ever been apart of.

    But then the DA meeting arrived. Amandla thought that she would have a great time there, usually she did. They were practicing the Patronus charm, and Amandla felt confident in it. Lately, because she had decided that staying in her dorm room was better than the possibility of seeing Draco, she had been reading her mother's spellbook. She didn't like practicing them aloud, fearful that someone was listening, so even though it was much harder, she learned the spells without verbally saying the phrases.

    Being confident, she started to say the charm, only to find that no happy memory was important enough. She thought of her friends, Cevira and Corey, a little spark of light appeared from her wand. Then, she thought of her parents, remembering them, but then all of the darkness that surrounded them clouded her memories of them and it wasn't large enough to produce the charm. As a last attempt, she thought of her favorite photograph that she had taken while at the Malfoy Manor of Draco - the one where he was laughing and smiling and nothing in the world mattered.

    Of course, it was that memory that caused the charm to be produced and a stag. It was magical, gliding from her wand and surrounding her, causing her to smile. She saw Cevira mesmerized by it as well, not having created a patronus herself yet. She felt so happy...and then it all came crashing down as Harry yelled at them to run.

    Amandla, at first, was confused, only for him to say that they had been caught. She grabbed the Asian girl's arm, pulling her out of there as fast as she could and running through the hallways before seeing Draco and his friends (the stuck-up squad full of the tattle-tales that Umbridge created), causing her to turn down another hallway and go into the nearest girls bathroom.

    The next day, however, it was heard that Dumbledore had fled Hogwarts and Umbridge had total control of the school. Amandla was crushed by that, hating Umbridge, but Amandla couldn't think of that since it was career day - the day that all the fifth years had to talk with the head of their house to speak out their careers and what they need to score on their O.W.L.s to achieve that dream.