Chapter 32: First Mission

Start from the beginning

It was silent for a while, but Alice broke the silence, taking a few steps forward with a thoughtful pout on her face. My eyes swung up to look at her as she approached the street sign slowly, her feet crunching in the snow. “Alice?” I asked curiously, watching shocked as she tilted her head speculatively, then spun on her heel and looked down the street that the sign was pointing down.

Suddenly a triumphant look broke over her face. “I GOT IT!” She squealed excited, brown eyes twinkling with delight. We all rushed over to her eagerly. She pointed up to the street sign, the crisp black painted letters seem to be mocking me and I felt sort of stupid for not noticing before. Passion Way.

Oh the bitter irony.

We all shared a look, and then we were off, trying to walk as casually as we could down Passion Way. The houses were all Victorian in style, squashed together and almost spilling onto the street, their blank faces almost eerily dangerous. They were like silent sentinels in an unnaturally quiet street. I had the creeping suspicion we were being followed but was too bloody scared to turn around and check.

The last of the light disappeared from the sky and after a grating groan, the quaint looking street lamps flickered on, the puddles of light providing spots of illumination in the inky and frosty black night. I looked down at the map in my mittened hands. My breath produced a little cloud which danced when it escaped from my mouth.

“But be not bold or brass, because this my dear is only the very start.” I mumbled to myself. The street petered off suddenly, ending in a deserted coluder-sac and the pavement slowly faded away to a forested paddock. We all paused; sort of amazed it had taken only a few meters to take us out of the town all together.

I looked around, intent at looking for something little this time, seeing as the last clue was so obvious yet so hard to spot. I licked my chapped lips in an effort to concentrate. My eyes fell at the edge of the road on the fence which sectioned the paddock off from the street. The gate was a strange thing to look at.

Made from a glossy metal which, while it looked at least a hundred years old, was in such good condition that it was almost too good to be true. Anything of that sort had to have had weather marks, but no, this gate didn’t. The brass metal called, almost siren like, and hesitantly I stepped out of the ranks of the Order and shuffled forwards to the gate. Not touching the bold design, I let my hand hover over the metal gate, the tingling tell-tale sign of protection wards sending soft waves of heat through the wool of my mittens to my hand.

Gesturing with a nod of my head, I signalled my friends over. Warily, I stuck out my hand and tugged at the latch on the gate. Nothing happened; it didn’t move in the slightest. I frowned and tugged at it harder, determined to get it open. Once again, nothing. I growled, pulling on the gate at the same time as I tried to force the latch up.

It didn’t work either. Pulling the glove of my left hand off with my teeth, I shoved the map towards Will as I fished through my pockets for my wand. Pulling out the black holly wood, I tapped the latch twice, sending the strongest unlocking spell I knew on it. Still nothing. My teeth ground together. I began bombarding the lock with spells, all of them turning more dangerous by the minute. Suddenly, a strong hand grabbed mine, stilling my arm as it went to slash down in another spell.

“Anna. Stop! There’s other ways to open something then cursing the hell out of it.” Will admonished before letting my hand fall. I sighed and nodded, defeated. “Oh right.” I mumbled lamely. Gesturing to the gate I stepped to the side.

“Go ahead then.” I said softly when he didn’t get the hint. He nodded and took my original place. Staring intensely at the gate with a look of great concentration Will said. “Open.” Nothing happened. He frowned and tried again. “We come in peace?” He asked the gate.