25) "Keep Driving"

I had never been happier to see Greta's smug expression and Boone's lack of one. Despite my fears, they appeared in the World-Between-Dreams, just as they did every night, at the same moment McKenzie and I did.

I felt a rush of joyous relief. Too embarrassed to let it show, I greeted them with a simple, "You came."

Greta folded her arms across her chest and gave me her most defiant look. "So we did. Is that going to be a problem, Mister Dream Guardian?"

I shook my head. "Believe me, I know I was a total tool today. And I just want to say that you were right Greta—I can't do this by myself. And I'm sorry for saying otherwise. I need your guys help." I noticed a frown appear on McKenzie's face, so, with a roll of my eyes, I added, "McKenzie's, too.

"You all aren't just my Sub Guardians, you are also my friends. So, if you can find it in you, please accept my apology and help me save Shred and defeat the Dream Stalker."

The anger on Greta's face softened, though her arms remained folded. She sighed. "You don't need to apologize, Aaron. We should have realized how much pressure you're under with everything that has been happening to you, and should have tried to support you better." Greta shot a look at Boone and McKenzie, whom were both looking around sheepishly. "Shouldn't we?"

The two unenergetically echoed agreements, causing Greta to roll her eyes and shake her head. "Maybe you weren't so far off on the idea of trimming some of the fat," She said, although I noticed an amused expression on her face.

"How touching." Horacio said, finally appearing.

"Horacio." I growled. While my friends hadn't deserved the balled-up anger I had unleashed on them, this monkey certainly did. "Funny you show you face now but not when we needed your help."

The monkey narrowed his eyes. "As I've told you before, I'm a Dream Guide."

"And doesn't being a Dream Guide mean you are supposed to be looking out for us?"

"I cannot always be there to hold your hand. You must learn how to deal with difficulties on your own."

"Why is that?" I asked, as a dark thought appeared in my head; something that had crossed my mind briefly before, but I had never fully considered. "There's something you want from us...or just me at least. Isn't there?

Horacio didn't answer.

"Isn't there!"

Greta looked worried. "What are you getting at, Aaron?"

I turned to her and began to share my theory, "If Horacio really, truly only cared about stopping the Dream Stalker then he would do everything in his power to help us, right? Sure, he tries to hide behind this rules bullshit, but there must be another reason he wants me to grow stronger. He's certainly not helping us out of the goodness of his heart. No, he needs a Dream Guardian to help him with something. With what exactly, I have no clue."

Horacio's mouth quivered and, for a moment, I feared he was about to lose his composure and unleash the true might of his own Gifts onto us. Instead, he only smiled.

"You're perceptive, Aaron. Another sign that you are growing as a Dream Guardian. I think you may yet live up to my prediction that you will the strongest Dream Guardian of all." The monkey began to do that annoying thing of his where he floats in the air just because he can. "At least stronger than all the Guardians I've guided over the years. Barring, of course, our Dream Stalker drains you first.

"Indeed, you are goal-oriented and very astute, as you've just proven, both of which are qualities in a Dream Guardian that I've been searching for. And, as you've already guessed, there is a reason I want you to live up to the fullest of your abilities."