3) "You're Related?"

Dedicated to coolmanab for the awesome trailer!! 
**********************************

When the doors of the school closed behind me, the feeling of being watched vanished as suddenly as it had arrived. I had half the mind to go back outside just to see if it would return. I quickly dismissed the idea as that would be foolish. Instead, I added it the ever-expanding list of things I would try to forget about.

As I began walking through the halls of the school in search for the principal's office, I realized it would probably be quicker to simply ask McKenzie, who was trailing behind me. But considering he was continuing the rant he had started outside I was content with ignoring him.

The hallways were quite empty. It was something I didn't know whether to chalk up as evidence of how few students attended Edmond High or if majority of them were just already inside their classrooms. Most of the people I did see were rummaging through their lockers.

I soon noticed there were several black and red banners hanging all over the place. Each of them depicted the head of a Native-American war chief with various sayings, like 'Warrior Pride' or 'We Are Warriors!' giving me the indication that they represented the school's logo and nickname.

As I walked, I became aware that something around me had changed. It was hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it was, then it hit me. Motor mouth McKenzie had finally stopped talking. Checking over my shoulder to see if my cousin was still there, I saw him with his head on a swivel, eyeing his surroundings attentively. As if he was searching for something. Probably girls.

Turning back to what was in front of me, I stopped in my tracks just as I was about to collide with an odd-looking girl. She had come to a stop in the middle of the hallway, glaring up at one of the banners. I tried to take a few steps back, but ended up bumping into McKenzie, causing him to jump in fright. He let out a shriek in a voice that you could be forgiven for thinking belonged to a girl. Of course, that drew the attention of the girl in front of me, who promptly turned her glare onto the both of us.

I wouldn't call the girl ugly, exactly. She just came across as a rather strange individual. If she ditched, both, the overly large glasses and Grandma-style turtleneck sweater she wore, then she would be a passable looking girl with curly blonde hair and freckles splattering her nose and cheeks.

"It's a travesty, don't you think?" The girl asked me curtly. "I can't believe our school won't do something about this! This is a complete and utter mockery of the proud and honorable Native-American people that graced these lands before us."

"Not this again," McKenzie muttered quietly, but still loud enough for the girl to hear.

The girl looked like she was about to go off on McKenzie when she noticed me out of the corner of her eyes. She brusquely turns her gaze fully on me. "Oh, where are my manners? My name is Greta Evans! I'm Student Council President of Edmond High School," she introduced herself quite proudly. "I presume you are our new student Aaron Cooke, correct?" She offered out her hand, a smile now crossing her lips. Is this school so very small that every student and teacher would automatically know my name right off the bat?

I nodded and shook her hand—it felt cold and clammy—but before I could say anything McKenzie cut me off. "Yep, this is my cousin!" He exclaimed before once again attempting to throw his arm over my shoulder. Anticipating this awkward move, I side-stepped away from him, causing hie arm to fall through the air.

Greta's eyes widened in what could be nothing but shock. I assume it was for what McKenzie had said, of course, and not my awesome ninja moves. "You're related? I was hoping the same last name thing was just coincidence. No, it's not possible," Greta breathed. "It can't be! He's so good looking and you're so..." she trailed off, her face starting to blush.