Chapter 5

Daryl guarded the glass door in front, while I cleared the aisles. "I don't think anything is magically gonna pop up, Daryl, if we're quiet we're fine." I told him reassuringly, he placed his crossbow down by his side. I knew Maggie and Glenn had already cleared this store, we were near the prison, I wanted to see it one last time, but I didn't dare. The prison was overrun, and I didn't want to be put in a bad position with just Daryl and I. It was true we were the strongest of the group, but there were only two of us. I only remember this place, since this is where I saw Merle try to take down Maggie and Glenn, when Merle was on a warpath. I had to say, not for Daryl's sake, but I'm glad that son of a bitch was dead, and I was sorry I wasn't the one to kill him. I went towards the pharmacy of the store, searching fro medicine, or any kind of first aid. Daryl walked towards me and scanned the aisles.

"Damn, most of the condoms are gone, someone's been havin' some wild nights." I heard him say and I laughed into the air.

"Yeah, Glenn and Maggie have definitely been here." I said, throwing some Advil Pills into the bag and some bandages. I turned around to see Daryl pick up the small Trojan box and put it into his bag. I rolled my eyes and snorted.

"Might need these," I heard his say and he grabbed another box and slung the bag over his shoulders. I grabbed some more medicine, and then turned to Daryl.

"Look whose becoming a stud." I said, teasingly and walking towards the door, grabbing the butt of my katana, as I spotted a couple Walkers. Daryl grunted a little bit and laughed.

"Live in the moment, right?" He meant to say it as a statement, but it came out as more of a question. I nodded my head and turned to him.

"What are you saying?" I asked him, I wasn't asking for a relationship, nor for sex, but I wanted to know what he was hinting at, at least. Maybe I could help him, Daryl was my friend and I did care about him a great deal, especially when Rick was being a total ass to me. Which was occurring often now. Daryl shrugged and looked to the tiles on the floor. "Hey," I said in his direction, and he looked up to me, "you've changed, since we've left the prison." He snorted and shook his head.

"Nah, no way. Maybe because I didn't wanna be a damn babysitter for that dumbass girl. She was a piece of work." I couldn't disagree with him, she was, but she was so sweet and innocent.

"But, did she say something to you? Something that bothered... you?" He avoided my eye contact and looked back down to the floor and then to the other aisles.

"She told me, I'd be the last one standin'... I may be tough, but I don't wanna be the last one... out here alone. I need someone, someone, with me." I smiled and walked up to him slowly, and I placed my had casually on his left shoulder.

"I won't leave you alone, I promise." He looked up into my eyes and he smiled a bit and I smiled back. He looked to my lips, and we both leaned in to each other. Knock, knock. I leaned out and turned to the door, taking my hand off of his shoulder. I heard Daryl sigh behind me, but I walked a few steps ahead grabbing the butt of my katana and bringing it out from the holder. I set the door free, and let the five Walkers come in and I attacked all five, their heads colliding to the floor. The moment was ruined, and I didn't know whether I was scared about kissing Daryl, because obviously I needed an excuse. I turned around to meet Daryl's eyes. "We should probably get going back to the sanctuary."

"Oh alright." I nodded and we both walked out of the store, the sun hitting our heads and it was quite warm. "Michonne, I.." I cut him off quickly.

"No, stop, I understand." I said, knowing Daryl was gonna say he didn't mean to kiss me.

*Little did Michonne know, that wasn't what Daryl was gonna say*