Chapter 4

"Jai-Jai, wake up!"

Apparently someone decided it was a good idea to shake me awake this morning, and judging by that voice, it just happened to be Luke. I groaned and rolled over to face away from my annoying twin brother. I just needed another good 20 minutes and everything would be okay. I would be able to start the day and everything would be peachy.

Yeah right.

That wasn't happening anytime soon just like how nothing is ever going to be peachy ever again. Luke wasn't Luke anymore and no one could fix that. My older brother now hod the mind of a six year old at best and I didn't know how that could possibly be okay.

"What do you want, Luke?" I groaned as he started to shake me again. I heard a small whimper of protest from behind me and sighed as I forced myself to turn around and face him. "What's wrong?"

"I'm scared." He replied simply. I felt like the vein in my head was about to burst.  The old Luke almost never got scared, so what was I supposed to do? This wasn't my job. I wasn't the baby brother. I was the youngest, even if it was just by two minutes. I was so used to Luke and Beau taking care of me all of the time that I didn't know how to react.

"Just go back to sleep, Luke."  I replied with another sigh. Luke shook his head in refusal at my suggestion. It was obvious that he hadn't lost his stubbornness with everything else he lost.

"Can I sleep with you?" He asked, giving me puppy dog eyes. I had to roll my eyes. I was the one who taught him that look. It wasn't going to work on me. Not now. Not ever.

"No, go sleep with Beau!" I snapped. Luke flinched back in response and scurried out of the room. Yet another thing to go wrong. My twin shouldn't flinch away from me of all people. That wasn't like him.

-

"Jai, can you please make Luke some lunch?" My Mum asked me tired later That day.

"Sure, Mum. I'd love to." I mumbled sarcastically before setting to work and making him a sandwich.

"Jai," she sighed. "I know this is really hurting you, but you need to be patient with Luke he's still your twin brother even if he's injured."

"That's just it, Mum!" I couldn't help but to snap. "He's not just injured! He's retarded and nothing is going to fix that! As far as I'm concerned, my twin brother died in that accident."

"Jai, that's just rude and inconsiderate and...Luke!" My Mum started to scold me but trailed off. I turned to see what she was looking at only to find Luke standing there with tears in his eyes.

"Jai doesn't love me anymore?" He questioned, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Sweatheart, of course Jai loves you. He's just having a rough time right now." Mum consoled, giving him a small hug.

"Jai is sad..." Luke stated like he was trying to let it soak in completely. Then, his mouth formed a goofy smile as he stepped forward to give me a hug. I just let it happen even though I did not want him hugging me.

"It's okay Jai, I'll protect you!" Luke promised. Anger took over me as I jerked away from him and stormed out of the room.

This wasn't right. As far as I was concerned, that wasn't Luke. I honestly don't even know how they can just treat him like he's the same. He's not the same. He's not my brother. Not anymore.

-

As I walked towards the kitchen for dinner that night, I heard talking. It was Beau and Mum. And from the sounds of it they were discussing someone. Me.

"I just don't understand why he's treating Luke like this." Mum sighed.

"I know, but he's just going through a lot. You saw him when Luke was in the coma. It was like I had lost both my brothers at the same time." Beau tried to console her.

"Still it's one thing to grieve and another to suddenly hate your twin brother. I'm worried. That's not normal. Just, I don't know, try talking to him while I take Luke out tomorrow."

"What and have him blow up at me? No thank you!"

"Please, Beau! Do it for me."

"Fine."

I decided to skip dinner and ran to my room in shock. Of course I'm the bad guy. Never Luke. Luke's never coming back and they need to accept that. Just like I have.

Ok just to sum this part up. Jai's grieving/ in denial (sort of) so he's lashing out at everyone but mainly Luke. He seems like a jerk right now, but that's only because he's having trouble dealing with their situation.