Lafayette x Reader [1]

Start from the beginning

I walked along the other men. They were used to me being part of the army by now. After we reached one side of the river, another chunk of us broke off, going West. Then that group splitting again going East to guard the side of the river. Hercules had a station close to Laf across the Bay, and Alex was only one troop away from me.

We mounded our stations preparing for an attack. We drew our guns and aimed them as red coats appeared, lining up before us.

The battle started when their commander ordered them to shoot, and bullets were fired our way. I ducked as a few flew above my head, some people around me did the same. Others, were not so lucky.

I flinched as I heard people behind me scream, and fired my gun. Not hesitating to reload immediately. I spotted the troops on the other side of the bay.

Lafayette is over there. I thought. Is he alive? Is he hurt? Would I see him again?

I shook my head and fired my gun again, aiming at anyone on the red coat side. And reloaded my gun immediately. And then I shot again. Then reloaded. And shot. And reloaded. And shot.

That's how every battle went.

Except this one went on for hours. I watched the sun set and the moon rise. My hands were sore and hoarse from reloading and pulling the trigger. We were running low on gunpowder. My ears rang from the screams and sounds of gunshots. Blood from other soldiers was splattered across my uniform, making me look like a red coat myself.

More and more men fell to the ground around me, I saw Alexander somewhat across from me wave me over.

I ran over to him and ducked beneath a tree.

"Are we retreating?" I asked, my voice hoarse from the lack of water.

"No not yet, there's still a small chance. We are splitting up again. General's orders." he replied.

"Okay. I'm heading to the tree across there." I pointed to a tree close to the British side.

He hesitantly said, "Alright I'll be close, stay safe."

"You too." I said and patted him on the back as I sprinted around part of the bay, to the tree I spotted earlier.

I saw Alex crouching a good couple of yards away from me, and felt relieved to know he made it to his station.

I was all on my own now. And so I continued, shooting and reloading non stop.

My stomach growled as I longed for food. But I ignored it. I could wait until this over. We will win.

And soon, as the sun hung high in the air, the British forces started to be pushed back. They showed no sign of retreat yet, but we were gaining on them.

I saw some soldiers including Alex move forward. I decided to follow them, except it was a long way. No trees to hide behind, no bushes, no rocks. An open field.

I took a deep breath and ran, blocking out the gunshots that surrounded me. My legs moved one in front of another and I could see a bush I could crouch and take position behind.

I panted as the bush got closer, running out of breath. A soldier sprinting in front of me was shot down and fell. My eyes widened as I spotted the red coat who shot him down. We made eye contact as his jaw hardened. The seconds counted down as I tried to slow down.

1

My feet hit the ground harder, I was loosing speed.

2

He grabbed gun powder.

3

I stopped completely, tripping over the body of a shot bluecoat.

4

The gunpowder entered his musket.

5

I face planted into the ground.

6

I could see his gun cock.

7

I scrambled up, almost tripping again in the process.

8

He aimed.

9

I threw my own gun off to the side and started to sprint away.

10

He shot his gun.

I didn't waste my time turning around when I heard the gunshot. I thought I still had a chance to escape. I knew my thoughts were wrong when a searing pain hit my upper back.

Blinded by the pain, I fell to the ground with a loud scream. Others around me didn't bother to stop and help. I was just another dead soldier no one cared about.

Tears ran down my face as black spots dotted my vision.  I looked up at the sky, grey from gunpowder being shot. The pain feeling as if a thousand knives stabbed my back at once, as if every part of my body was lit on fire.

"I'll see you on the other side mon amour." I whisper, barely any sound coming from my chapped lips. The last thing I could see before the black spots took over, was a white handkerchief being waved by a red coat standing on a parapet.

I smiled. We won.

Alexander suddenly appeared above me, yelling with a tear stained face. I couldn't hear what he was saying through the pain. But finally that pain took over.

I took one last deep breath.

Everything went black.

TO BE CONTINUED

(A/N: Muah I feel so evil. Hope you enjoyed my first one shot, look forward to a part two of this Lafayette x Reader. Thanks!)