<2>

i followed behind mira as i inspected the surroundings. dark corridor, and some rooms in front of us. she stopped in front of one of the rooms and peered through the glass windows. i peered in too and saw glasses and test tubes and some colourful liquids here and there.

"so, what's so interesting 'bout this place that made you want to bring me here first?" i whispered. it looked like a typical science lab to me.

"my stupid chemistry teacher confiscated my wallet and forgot to return it to me. see that white and blue block there? that's my wallet."

"why did he take it from you?"

"i was just looking at one of my photocards and he took it away." she stood up and placed her hand on her hip.

"ooookay so what now? break in?"

"that's exactly what i'm gonna do. and y--"

my pocket started ringing and i pulled out my phone. "whoops, sorry, gotta take this call."

i heard mira groaning as i walked away. my mom was calling. sigh, she probably thought i got lost or something since it had been a while since school ended. "hello mom?"

"kira, why aren't you home yet? some of the students living around here are mostly home already."

"geez mom, don't worry. my friend is showing me around the school."

"oh, alright then. don't come home too late."

"okay, bye mom!" i hung up after that and turned back towards the lab.

"mira? where are you?" i called out. she was standing in front of the lab just a minute ago. strange.

i walked towards the lab, still clutching my phone. i heard a muffled sound and a low roar. "what the hell..." i muttered as i warily stepped closer to the door of the lab.

it was slightly ajar and i was extremely suspicious. wasn't it locked a while ago? i bit my lip and looked through the gap, hoping whatever unlocked it didn't hear my pounding heartbeat.

from the small gap i could only see the wall and the flickering lights, but an uneasy feeling washed over me. something... was definitely not right. i slowly opened the door, little by little, until i could tilt my head in to see more.

i heard another growl and my eyes strained to look in that direction. my eyes widened as i got a better view of this... creature. it was crouched next to the teacher's table and a thin mist seemed to surround it, its back facing me.

it was covered in black liquid - ink maybe. it's features were blurred because of the thick liquid that covered it. but its faint waves of hair and ribs were still visible. the figure was bony and had bones or sticks sticking out of its back. each stick wasn't that long, and it looked like wings that were covered in ink rather than feathers.

wait, is that thing human? i gulped at its shocking appearance. i had never seen anything like that before, not even in an art gallery. i tried processing things for a while. then i remembered. where the hell is mira?!

i squinted and tried to see whether she was in the lab. then i saw strands of short hair in front of the creature. so many thoughts ran through my mind about what could have happened.

i saw the creature bend forward and plunge its mouth into the thing in front of it. that's when i got a view of the thing in front of it. mira.

her eyes and mouth were wide open and her eyes were reddish. her face had turned a pale blue and a red bite mark was on her cheek. a black handprint was on her mouth area, which was probably why there were muffled sounds.