<1>

"have a nice day at school, kira," my mother wished me with a warm, motherly smile on her face. one i haven't seen in years.

she used to always have a frown on her face, full of fatigue and fear. it always broke my heart to see her like that, then again, i couldn't have made her happy if i always had the same look on my face.

the main cause of our misery was our dad. he was abusive towards my mom, and i would get hurt trying to protect her. he used to be kind, caring and hardworking. but one day he came back, drunk and with empty pockets. well, turned out he started drinking and gambling, and it turned our lives upside down.

then one day my mom had enough and she brought me to seoul. with great troubles of course, but here we are. new place, new house, new people, new school, new life. sounds good.

"alright, bye mom!" i smiled and waved at her before slipping on my shoes and walking out.

"yoyo, kira!" i looked up and saw my friend smiling at me.

"yo mira," i answered as i picked up my stack of books and closed the door behind me.

mira was my friend that i met online 2 years ago. she was going to the same school as me and agreed to show me around. it was the first time i saw her in real life, but i've facetimed her a few times before.

she had dark brown short hair with bangs sweeping slightly below her eyebrows, and was slightly taller than me. we were walking to school together, which thankfully was only a 5 minutes walk.

we strolled and chatted, sharing more about ourselves and about the city. we reached the school in no time and mixed in with the students that were swarming into the school.

she led me to the office and she waited outside while i entered. "good morning, i'm the new tranfer student lee kira."

"oh hello kira, here's a sheet of paper with some details you need to know."

i took it with a smile and she continued, "well, the rest of the school is for you to explore. run along, class starts soon."

"thank you," i whispered out and walked out, meeting mira.

"so... what's your class?"

i looked at the paper and scanned through the details. class is 1-2, locker number is 114, locker password, rules, timetable, etc.

"oh, my class is 1-2."

"really?! wow that's great, cuz that's my class," mira grinned and winked.

"are your classmates nice?"

"well, not all, but you'll get used to it. come on, let's go to the lockers."

mira showed me how to unlock the locker and i dumped all my heavy books inside, feeling relieved after getting the load off my arms. then she showed me the classroom.

everyone, boys and girls, were fooling around, talking loudly and having fun. seems fun. mira dragged me in by the hand and announced, "guysss, meet lee kira, our new transfer student!"

the class was quieter as all of them turned to me. god, i really wanted to headbutt mira for doing that. "hi...?" i smiled awkwardly and scanned through their faces.

it was probably the most awkward moment of my life. "alright alright, let's go meet some friends," mira broke the awkwardness and brought me to the side of the class where all the girls were gathered.

there were 3 evident cliques - and they were all so pretty.  "girls, this is lee kira!"

some looked in my direction and smiled or waved. a bunch of them approached us and they seemed to be of the same clique.

"hi kira! nice to meet you :) i'm jihyo," a girl with beautiful big eyes greeted.

"she's the class monitress, if you need any help you can ask her," she paused. "or me."

the girls all took turns to introduce themselves and i talked to a few others as well. it all happened so quickly - i couldn't remember all their names. but that's fine, i guess i can take my time.

as for the boys, a few of them did bother to chat with me, the others did not, but i found out that each of the cliques had their own "name". for the girls, there were twice, blackpink and mamamoo. for the boys, there were seventeen and nct 127.

the first lesson started a while after i got to know half the class. our form teacher, who was also our math teacher, called me up to introduce myself. then after, he placed me at a seat at the back.

i wasn't very tall, so i don't see why he wanted me at the back. there was an empty seat at the middle of the classroom, so why didn't he put me there?

i walked to the back of the classroom, dumping my bag on the floor. it was so heavy i swear my shoulders almost broke. a boy sat next to me, and he was tall. really damn tall.

i looked at him with wide eyes and muttered a "hello" shyly. "aw, you're shy," he smirked.

i ignored him and sat on my seat. very awkwardly. the teacher continued his boring lecture and the whole lesson i was just wondering what the boy's name was. "the name's mingyu, if you're wondering." the boy whispered, as if he read my mind.

"hi mingyu," i said with a small smile. maybe he was nice and we could be friends.

the lessons continued and the teachers went in and out until the recess bell rang. i took my wallet out of my pocket and stuffed it in my skirt pocket, then went to mira who was already waiting at the classroom door.

we walked in the same direction as all the students and arrived at the cafeteria. "wow, your cafeteria is huge."

"yea, but the food still sucks. that's why i pack my own lunch."

i chuckled and nodded. "okay, maybe i will too. but for today i'll have a taste of the food. see if it's as horrible as you claim."

mira found us a seat and i went to queue for food before the queue became too long. i took my bowl of rice and walked to mira, who was quite happy with her lunch.

i started eating and the meal was actually not too bad. we talked about our class as we ate.

"so mira, which group are you in?" i asked.

"i... i don't really belong to any, but that's fine," she looked to the ground, a sad smile on her face.

"aww, it's okay, you have me now."

"yea, that's right," she turned to face me, now with a brighter smile. "oh right, i'll show you around the school after school."

"sounds great."

time passed really quickly and i couldn't remember anything half way through the lessons. it was nearing the end of school and everyone was secretly packing their bags. then the bell rang. the teacher frowned at her half-taught lesson but still greeted and released us. all of us ran out of the classroom and i waited for mira to bring me around.

"so, let's start!" mira cheered, grabbing both her bag straps.

"so wher--"

"but first, follow me somewhere."

------
a/n:
wow i finally rewrote this chapter :')
well this chapter was just a basic introduction, hope it was fine!
i'm not that familiar with high schools so this is my rough idea 😂
also, i may not be too familiar with the different groups featured in this story so i'm very sorry if what they're potrayed as is completely different from who they are :d
(hopefully) will release the next chapter soon!

-dew :3