We chuckle at Preston's expression, turning and redirecting ourselves en route for the temple.

~~~

"Ah, finally!"

The instant we step into the dim interior of the desert temple, the air instantly cools and relief washes over us. We all slump against the walls, absorbing the cool touch of the sandstone against our bare backs and the refreshing cold air. Well, everyone expect Preston. He doesn't seem very tired at all. But nonetheless it doesn't stop him from joining the four of us as we pull out a variety of food, and proceed to stuff our faces and calm our growling stomachs. I myself chomp down on a peace of cooked chicken, taking in the surroundings.

The only light in this temple is coming from slots way high up near the ceiling, letting natural light spill through. Preston's skin also adds to the brightness, giving more features to the area. There's are pillars beside each of the doorways, and everything is made from sandstone. In the middle of this particular room, which is the centre one, there is orange and blue stained clay forming a small yet fancy pattern on the ground. And, as everyone knows, underneath said clay lies a pit, with four chests containing valuables. But of course, there's also a pressure plate, which then stepped on triggers nine blocks of TNT. It's almost always a fatal situation.

"Hey check it out, I don't think this temple is raided yet." Rob declares, pulling out a torch and holding it above the untouched clay.

By now we're all cooled off and we have our shirts back on.

"Awesome!" Preston exclaims enthusiastically, the rest of us coming to gather around.
"I'm gonna go grab the stuff." Rob declares, wielding a newly crafted iron pickaxe.
"Just make sure you don't set off the TNT." Vikk cautions Rob, who in return nods his acknowledgement.

As Rob begins to dig down into the side of the pit, letting him descend safely, the rest of us retreat and lean against the walls, resting our tired muscles.

Not two minutes later and a delightful cry is sounding from the bottom of the pit.

"What did you find?" Jerome calls down curiously, peeking into the dark pit.
"There's diamonds down here! And iron, gold, and emeralds too! There's even and enchanted golden apple!" Rob reports, his voice echoing off the walls of the pit.

A ripple of excitement passes through us. Enchanted golden apples are uncraftable and extremely rare. But having found one, now we have a great item in case of an emergency.

"I'm coming back up guys!" Rob hollers, his shadowed figure visible stacking up blocks beneath him.

We all back away as Rob's pickaxe drives through the blocks above him, giving him a nice wide hole to climb out of. His arms reach up, and he grabs a hold of the ledge and begins to pull himself up. And that's when it happens.

The old sandstone, being pressured by the full weight of Rob and all he's carrying, cracks and falls away, dropping Rob with it. Rob yells out in surprise and horror, but thankfully Preston is quick to react and dives to the edge, ducking into the hold and grabbing a hold of one of Rob's hands before he can fall to his doom in the booby trap.

"I... Gotcha." Preston grunts, digging his toes into the ground behind him as he lies his belly, trying not to fall in with Rob.

Vikk leaps forward, grabbing a hold of Preston's legs to anchor him while Jerome and I rush to the edge of the pit and teach down, attempting to help Preston haul a frightened and shocked Rob back to safety. But it never happens. Why? Because, although Preston reacted quickly, he didn't react quick enough. He only managed to grab Rob by a single hand, which in itself isn't a very good hold compared to grabbing his wrist or forearm. But what really screws things up is the fact that Rob's hand are clammy and sweaty from the humid air. And that, is what causes Preston grip on him to slip before we can help him, sending Rob free falling into the bottom of the pit.

"ROB!!" We all shout in unison, scrambling to the edge.

The drop isn't anywhere near deep enough to injure Rob very badly, and he looks practically unharmed. The problem is, he landed directly on the stone pressure plate at the bottom, activating it. Rob gazes back up at us with tear filled, scared eyes, unable to move due to shock. There's a click, and a suddenly a soft hissing is rising up from the cave.

"EVERYONE GET BACK!" Vikk screeches, yet a tone in his voice is hesitant, and regretful. After all, by retreating we're leaving Rob to his death, bound to be exploded to pieces in a few moments.

But what can we do?

Reluctantly, Jerome and I follow Vikk's orders, scooting back away from the hole. But Preston does the unthinkable. Instead of being smart, and backing away like the rest of us, he leaps into the hole with a set jaw and determination flashing in his eyes.

Before I can even comprehend what on earth Preston thinks he's doing, he's gone.

Five seconds later the explosion begins.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

What do you think is going to happen?

My answer: 🤐