Chapter 6: Well, at Least It's Not Kraven

Start from the beginning

Kazar morphed his walk into a jog, setting his sights on Hulk and Captain America, who were talking to Nick Fury off to the side. Before he could get far, someone caught his elbow. When looking back, he noticed that the rest of the team had assembled behind him, with Powerman in front, Kazar's elbow in hand. "Hey," Powerman said, "We just wanted to wish ya good luck." he gave Kazar a kind smile. "Good luck."

Behind him, Agent Venom whooped, "Go kick some butt!"

"And bring that megamiph-a-thingy back with you while you're at it." Iron Spider piped out, sounding somewhat like some father reminding his kid to do his chores.

"And keep an eye out for any crazy people who want to kill you," Dagger added, she sounds more like a worried mother who fretted over the children. Kazar chuckled lightly, despite the achy reminder of his injury, and nodded. "I swear I will not let you down," he promised them.

Nova crossed his arms with a smirk, "Of course you won't," he said with an eye roll, "You were trained at S.H.I.E.L.D Academy weren't you?"

Kazar chuckled again, "Yes. I suppose I was." It was funny. He had just met these kids, he couldn't even tell you their alter-ego names, yet, he felt his heart swell with the looks of encouragement and confidence they shot his way. They all, every single one of them, were disappointed that they weren't going on the mission, yet they'd still rally behind him and give him their support. Nothing could replace Zabu, never in a million years, but he still felt a sense of belonging here with them. They were all different, yet still kind of the same. He felt, however small it was, that maybe they all really were kind of like a family.

Kazar gave them one last grateful look, before walking toward the send-off group. Hulk, Cap, and Fury finished whatever they were discussing just as he approached them.

__~LINE BREAK~ ____

Up ahead, Taskmaster heard a group of people approaching in the corridor, among the footsteps there was an all-too-familiar metallic clank, clank, clank, clank hidden among the normal thud of shoes on metal floors. Despite having been given his mask back, he repressed a cold smile.

He and his escorts rounded a bend, just as the other group of people did too, resulting in a "sudden" collision that sent him falling back into one of the guards, both of whom ended up as a pile on the floor. There was a soft crinkling and swooshing sound as papers were sent careening in all directions. The hall was filled with loud scuffling and many rushed apologies as both the agents and the S.H.I.E.L.D scientists rushed to their feet, picking up papers, in which was, no doubt, the most unprofessional way that Taskmaster had ever heard.

"You idiotic, bumbling bafoons!" a cold, hollow, and slightly metallic voice cursed. There was only one person Taskmaster knew who could use the words like "bumbling" and "bafoon"

"Well, it's so good to see you again, Dr. Octavius." Taskmaster sneered as he kicked the agent who had landed on top of him away.

There was a sharp clank in his direction. "Taskmaster," Doctor Octopus spat. "Glad to see S.H.I.E.L.D has paid no expense with your treatment."

Taskmaster shrugged, "Better than working in a lab like a slave. Tell me, when will you be returning to employment for Osborn? Seeing how you're so keen on being kept as some petty lap dog."

"Like your any better your worthless worm!" Octavius growled Taskmaster heard him surge forward in fury. A flurry of agents rushed forward and intercepted, pushing the man back and shouting threats to use lethal force if he didn't comply, guns whined to life in emphasis. The mercenary chuckled, he could imagine all-too-well what the scene looked like. Octavius always was a bit of a hothead.