Fifteen

Fifteen

The sun seemed to be glaring at them as Zayne and his son exited the UCLA bookstore with a couple of snacks in tow. They sauntered hand in hand down the sidewalk engrossed in their own conversation, both of their matching Bulls snapbacks pulled low to cover their eyes. They looked every bit of identical with their khaki cargo shorts and matching red and black jerseys.

It had drawn a wide variety of attention to them ever since they'd left the frat house about thirty minutes ago. The women were swooning over the toddler that mirrored him wholeheartedly. It didn't take any time for the news of his son to travel over the campus. It all seemed to happen overnight, and before he knew it they'd acquired one hell of a fan club.

"Hey, Zayne!"

He rolled his eyes and kept walking, not even attempting to glance around to see who had been calling him. It didn't matter. He decided that he wasn't subjecting his son to the female population that he was so famous among on campus. "Daddy?"Little Zay called, grasping his father's hand tighter. Zayne pulled his eyes away from the focus of a tall palm tree and peered down at him,"What's up?" Zayvion started skipping, instantly earning a laugh from his father. "Candy pweaseeee?"He stopped walking and held out an opened palm.

Zayne smirked and gently pulled his son forward so that they could keep on their trek back to the frat house. It was almost too hot to be walking. Zayne's broad shoulders and arms were starting to glisten from the little sweat he was breaking into. He let go of his son's hand for a second only to pull rapidly at his jersey to gain some relief,"You're not hot?" Zayvion pulled his snapback lower over his eyes, probably trying to sheath his orbs away from the sun. He nodded and grabbed ahold of his father's hand once more. They began to walk again with Zayne scrutinizing the lively premises.

They were quickly nearing the Kappa fraternity house. He could make out the huge red and white flag as it blew in the muggy air. There were men spread all over the yard as though they were having a kickback of some sort. They sat on the railings of the house and aligned themselves on the steps too. They hooped and hollered at the scantily clad women that were trudging by. Zayne shook his head at his brothers, a smile threatening to form on his face. "Be easy fellas!"He yelled laughingly, instantly causing them to shift their gaze towards him. "Shut up Oz!"They all shouted in unison.

He scooped his son up into his arms and sped up his pace – almost jogging with him. Little Zay giggled and wrapped one of his arms around his father's neck loosely. Once reaching the yard he allowed his son to slide out of his grasp. The toddler ran around greeting the many men, his friendliness contagious amongst them. They all seemed to take an instant liking to him and for that, it made it much easier to bring him around now. "Ayeee Lil Sanchez!"Major exclaimed as Zayvion ran into his legs. Major knelled down and attempted to slap hands with him. Zayne laughed and stalked up towards the long porch.

He thought about sitting on the steps but quickly decided against it once he noticed the lack of space. Zayne then hopped up onto one of the long white banisters and seated himself. He pressed his back against the white pillar and stretched his leg flat out. His right leg remained dangling idly. Then he reached downward for his bag to retrieve a bottle of water. He had the bottle turned up leaking its contents into his mouth within a matter of seconds.

The wind tried its hand at blowing but was still of no help to pacify the heat. The melody of Dj Khaled's Wild Thoughts suddenly filled their ears as the result of someone turning on their large sound system. Zayne bobbed his head, silently singing to himself. He smiled as he watched his son running around the yard in an attempt to get in on the game of flag football that they were about to start up. Major remained close to the toddler obviously policing and keeping an eye on him.