Epilogue

Sage wasn't sure how long they walked. He didn't really care. His paws were numb and aching from the salt that had been laid on the cold cement to melt the ice. It felt like his pads were burning, yet he was almost too numb to the pain to care much. His aching heart was the pain that he couldn't manage to shake.

Reacher led the way in front of him. He appeared tired and probably sore, but he didn't complain. He still held Skylar close to his chest. Her limp body swayed with the force of each step. Sage noticed her tail billowing in the wind and he imagined that it was wagging in pleasure. That was easier than thinking that she was dead and it was just the wind.

It was silent as they walked and he felt his heart ache when Reacher led them to the park. He knew that he had to bury Skylar and this was the best place to do it, but it felt so surreal.

He stopped dead as the wind tugged at his fur. He looked around and imagined himself running with Skylar at his side. The idea seemed so perfect, yet so far away.

Reacher noticed that he didn't hear the sound of Sage's pawsteps anymore. He looked over his shoulder and frowned. "Sage, you coming?"

"Y-Yeah, I'm coming," announced Sage as he continued forward and brushed against Reacher's leg.

They didn't walk far into the park before Sage saw some withered sunflowers. They would grow back in the warmer weather, but for now they were as dead and as wilted as can be.

"Wait," Sage interrupted as he swiveled his head around to look at Reacher. He stretched out a paw and thumped it against the ground. "Here's good."

"You sure," questioned Reacher.

Sage smiled at the flowers. "Yeah, I'm sure. She would've loved it here," he murmured as he touched his nose to one of the flowers and watched it collapse right in front of him.

Reacher offered a kind smile as he set Skylar down. "How am I supposed to do this?"

"You're not," replied Sage as he extended his claws as long as they could go. "I'm going to dig it myself. It's only right. It's what Skylar deserved."

Digging through cold and hard ground was extremely painful, but it was possible. It just took a lot of effort. But, that's what Sage had if nothing else, effort.

He started to dig against the ground with furious jabs of his front paws with his hind legs supporting the majority of his weight as he did so. He pulled chunks of dirt and debris slowly but surely. It took about ten times longer than it would've in the summer, but he didn't have the luxury of waiting. If it took time then so be it.

Once the hole was large enough to place Skylar's body into, Sage turned to her. He came over and laid down, resting his head right on her chest. He swore that he could still hear and feel her heartbeat pulsing right beneath him. He closed his eyes shut once more as tears fell onto her once beautiful and long golden fur. She was almost an exact copy of Molly, now that he saw it.

"I'm sorry that I failed you so much. I should've done more. I should've been a better mate to you. I'm sorry. One day I'll see you again, I promise. May the stars always shine bright above you. I love you. I always have and I always will, ever since the moment I saw your embarrassing self."

He licked her forehead before he grasped her scruff gingerly. He lifted his head and Skylar's body followed. He carried her, not dragged her, and set her down in the hole. He blinked tears from his eyes as he started to kick dirt over her body in a quick burial.

Once he was finished he found a few stones and outlined her body so that no creature would dare try and dig her up. She was buried too deep for foxes or raccoons, but a dog or coyote could find her easily. They would leave the burial sight alone if it had the visual of a gravesite. He just prayed that he got it close enough to look like a gravesite.

Sage stood there for a while before Reacher cleared his throat.

"It's time to get out of this state before they come looking for us. Besides, this hell isn't as warm as I would like," Reacher commented.

Sage looked over his shoulder, licking his lips. "And where do you have in mind next?"

"I think that we should finish our prior case of the human trafficking. I feel like the military would back us up on that," Reacher suggested as he dangled some keys in front of Sage's face.

Sage struck out a paw and jangled them in front of his face. "Let's go, Jack Reacher."

It was off. Another adventure. Another day. But for now, it was time to never go back.