Chapter 15: Hell, Michigan

"So where have known dogfighting rings be set up that are part of this one," Reacher asked as he leaned forward with his shoulders almost over the steering wheel. He had driven for nearly twelve hours and he had no idea if they were going to the right way or if they were just driving to do something.

Lisa looked over from her map and cell phone as she gazed at Reacher. "Let's see. The ones I know about were in Langley, Elliot Lake, Canada , Houston-"

"Okay, major cities," Reacher cut her off. That wasn't helping. There were dogfighting ring all around so this was nearly impossible. He was no way closer to finding out where Sage was.

Lisa set her map on her lap and started to massage her temples. "Look, I know that Sage means a lot to you, Reacher. I can understand that. I had a dog when I was little too, but you're going to have to let him go."

"He's more than just a dog!" He didn't mean to raise his voice, but when Lisa jumped he instantly felt bad. "Sage is just special. I've known him for a long time and he helped me when I was in a dark place. I can't give up on him. He wouldn't give up on me."

Lisa sighed in wonder. Reacher spoke about Sage as if he was a human. She had never known someone to treat a dog the way that Reacher did. He was willing to risk his life for anything Sage. She admired that, she really did, but she couldn't see an end in sight.

"Let's try this again. We know where major rings were and we know that they will have a new one on this date. We just don't know why," rambled Reacher as he craned his neck from side to side.

Lisa sighed. "Let's read off the cities again and see what happens. Langley, Elliot Lake, Houston, Little Rock. New York, Minneapolis, Charleston, Indianapolis-"

"Okay, let's stop while we're not ahead," interrupted Reacher as he gripped the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles turned white. "It has to mean something. We should be able to figure it out where the next ring is."

Lisa started to right the locations down and shook her head as she ran a hand along the side of her face. "This makes no sense! How can we figure it out."

"Say the locations again," Reacher urged.

Lisa stifled a groan. "Langley, Elliot Lake, Houston, Little Rock-"

"Let's stop there," suggested Reacher as he drummed his fingers against the steering wheel as he thought hard. "These people have to be clever. They want their followers to actually figure it out. That means that we have to figure it out too."

"Yes, I got that," whispered Lisa. "So, how would we rearrange this or whatever."

Reacher continued to think hard. Sage was always good at puzzles like this. However, Sage wasn't here. He was going to have to figure it out now.

"You know, sometimes the places that they've been is a precursor for the future," explained Lisa as she wrote the four city names down. "Like who goes to Little Rock for dogfighting? This has to mean something."

Reacher played with the four places in his head. Those four places held rings within a few days of each other and then they waited a few months before they started up again. That had to mean something too.

"Langley, Elliot Lake, Houston, Little Rock. Houston, Little Rock, Elliot Lake, Langley. Houston, Elliot Lake, Langley, Little Rock."

"Wait!"

Reacher frowned. "What?"

"You just spelled hell," Lisa exclaimed.

Reacher raised an eyebrow. "Your point being?"