Chapter 5: The Shed

The cold air sliced through Sage's fur like icy claws. He shifted back and forth on his paws, which were nearly frozen to the cement under him. He felt like he had been standing here for moons and nothing was happening. Nevertheless, the stayed alert with transfixed eyes laid out in front of him. He struggled to breathe through the cold air. He realized that it would rather take the Afghanistan heat than the Maryland cold.

He continued to gaze forward at a deal that was about to go down. Reacher had gotten a tip that a Sergeant was trafficking girls ever since he came home from overseas. He had been investigated, but nothing. Sage knew that he could find a scent anywhere and if anyone could find those girls, it was Sage. It was just finding a very illusive man was the problem. Luckily, Reacher seemed to be on that very well and Sage just had to wait for his signal.

Sage was positioned a few yard from an old diner. It was almost midnight, so the diner didn't have many inhabitants. No one was awake at this time of night and hanging around this neighborhood. That was unless you were the Sergeant or Reacher. Then it was clear that you never slept.

Reacher disappeared into the diner and Sage waited patiently. He had almost doze off before he heard gunshots. That was enough to make his fur stand on end and knew that he had to do something. He couldn't just stand around; waiting for Reacher to whistle for him.

He broke into a run, warming his aching muscles almost immediately with his fluid motions. He burst into the diner with the doors swinging open behind him. But, he didn't see Reacher at all.

He suddenly heard glass break from the kitchen and he prowled in there slowly. He was so low that his stomach nearly grazed the ground. There was broken bottles and liquid of all kind everywhere. It was amazing that the Sergeant hadn't slipped with Reacher when they went into the kitchen.

"I think that you think that I'm stupid," growled a voice before Sage heard the sound of someone loading a gun. He allowed his senses to travel and he could pick up the stench of 9mm bullets. He could tell by their distinct scent and even the sound that they made being loaded into the chamber.

There was a soft laugh from Reacher. "I don't think that you're stupid at all. But, I do think that you're cocky."

Sage heard the butt of the gun collide with Reacher's skull. Reacher collapsed a bit before he caught himself with his hands sprawled and catching the glass. He straightened and coughed a bit, blinking the haziness from his eyes. "Say that again and I'll shoot you right in the head."

"I don't doubt that, but I don't think that you counted on something," confessed Reacher as he let out a sharp whistle.

Little did he know that Sage was just around the corner. Sage barreled out before the Sergeant could even compute what was happening. The Sergeant screeched as Sage launched himself into the air and tackled the Sergeant. The Sergeant slammed the back of his head against the broken glass as Sage sunk his teeth into his shoulder, ripping it out of socket easily.

The Sergeant continued to scream and kick out in agony. Sage just tightened his grip until he heard Reacher whistle again. Sage stopped chewing, but he didn't release the Sergeant's arm.

"You have ten seconds to comply with my demands or my attack dog here will make quick work of you and I don't think that you want to see that, do you," whispered Reacher lowly and dangerously.

The color completely drained from the Sergeant's face as he shook his head slowly. "N-No, sir," he gasped in pain, sweat beginning to pour from his brow.

"Good," murmured Reacher as he straightened. "Sage, release!"

Sage did as he was told and made his way over to Reacher, the fur bristling along his spine. Blood dripped from his mouth a and he licked it slightly, savoring the taste. It was salty and sweet at the same time. It had a kind of sulfur taste mixed with iron, but Sage didn't mind. He would do it again if Reacher asked.