Chapter 21: It Can't Happen Like This

"Skylar," screamed Sage as he felt like he was going to be sick.

Skylar fell to the ground with blood, pus, and flesh oozed from her body. Her eyes were wide as she let out a gasp as she tried to breathe. The bullet had embedded itself in her chest, just missing her lung. However, there was nothing that anyone could do for her, at least not now.

Reacher tried to hold Sage back from rushing to Skylar while the man was still alive. He wrapped his arms around Sage's shoulder and neck as he pulled him backwards as Sage screamed and thrashed around, trying to bite at Reacher's arm. He managed to draw some blood, but Reacher stayed firm.

Molly bared her teeth as she darted forward and over to the man. Molly sunk her teeth into the back of the man's neck and ripped out part of his spinal cord. Bundles of nerves burst out as he screamed out in pain. It didn't last long. He died quickly with blood spreading down his back.

Molly whimpered as she leaped back as Reacher released Sage. Sage pelted forward, shaking his head in agitation as he let out a growl of annoyance. He came over to his mate and looked down to her.

"Sky," he whispered as he lowered beside her, his body sprawled. Agony spread through his shoulder, but he didn't care. He had traveled all this way and done way too much to just loose her again, in any way, shape, or form.

Skylar turned her head and seemed to meet Sage's gaze for the first time. "Gunner?"

"It's Sage now," replied Sage with a tiny shrug.

Skylar's unfocused eyes glowed. "Sage? Sage. I like that," she whispered with her tail wagging behind her weakly. "Sage. Did your human give you that name?"

"His name is Jack Reacher," answered Sage as he looked over to him. Reacher didn't come anywhere near Skylar, but he did not slowly. "He's kept me alive all these years. I owe him my life."

Skylar leaned forward a bit and let out a painful breath. Sage stretched out his paw and helped Skylar lay steady. She licked her lips and let out a deep pant. Her face twisted in pain before she stretched out her paw toward Molly. Molly's eyes widened in alarm as she looked to Sage.

Sage spun to look at her and sighed. "Come here, Molly. I think that Skylar wants to see you," he whispered softly.

Molly took a step steps forward with her muzzle moist in years. "You're Skylar? Sage has said a lot about you."

"That I am," wheezed Skylar as she struggled to breathe through the gunshot wound.

"Why did you do that," asked Molly with tears still fresh in her eyes. "Why did you save my life?"

Tears welled in Skylar's eyes as she lifted her paw to Molly's face. She caressed her cheek gingerly and smiled. "Oh, Molly. I would do anything for you."

"How do you know who I am," Molly croaked. "We've never met before."

The light quickly started to disappear from Skylar's eyes, but she was determined to finish her thoughts. "I haven't been this close to you since you were a pup. I've seen you around and I've seen what a mother you have been to your own litters."

"That means," Sage murmured in shock.

"Yes, I am Molly's mother and you're her father. I was pregnant when they took me away and then I have birth to littler of three; two males and a female. I have no idea what happened to the males, but you never left. I just was never allowed to see you. I wanted to, but I was never allowed. Please, forgive me."

Molly shook her head. "O-Okay, I forgive you."

Skylar let out a forced breath as it seemed like her breath was caught. "Now it is time that I have to leave you."