KABANATA 21

I stared at the handkerchief Karlos gave me. For five days, pinilit ko ang sarili kong magburda. Kahit na ilang beses akong natusok ng karayom, kahit na iritang-irita na ako, I continued. A gift is much more precious when effort is put into it, right?

I traced my fingers on the embroidered part of the handkerchief. I smiled. Kahit papano ay naging hugis rosas ang binurda ko. I embroidered two roses, a large one and a small one, on the corner of the handkerchief. It's a minimalistic design yet elegant. It's not perfect, but it's still beautiful. Not bad for an amateur.

My smile grew wider when I noticed that the red colored thread complimented the smooth cream colored handkerchief. Corazon was right. The curves of the roses matched well with the laced part of thr hanky. It didn't look awkward like I thought it would be.

I feel proud of myself.

I was pulled back from my thoughts by a knock on the door. Mabilis kong tinago ang panyo sa drawer ng mesang nasa harap ko at napatingin sa babaeng nasa may pintuan. Nakangiti siya habang nakahawak sa handle ng pintuan.

Gregoria de Jesus, the wife of the Katipunan's Supreme leader.

Bumagay ang malumanay niyang mga ngiti sa bilugan niyang mukha. The expression on her eyes projected gentleness and calmness. Halata sa mukha nito ang katandaan ngunit hindi nito naapektuhan ang gandang kanyang taglay.

"Maaari ba akong pumasok?" she asked. I nodded, still staring at her. She was wearing a traditional baro't saya. A white blouse and a long skirt. Another cloth was over the long skirt that hugged her hips has beautiful patterns on it. Wala akong alam sa fashion standard noong Spanish period but she looked well-dressed.

She entered the room and made her way to the stool opposite to mine. The way she moves was greaceful. No effort was put into it.

"Bakit hindi ka pa naghahanda para sa misa de gallo mamaya?" tanong nito.

Crap. I totally forgot. It's christms and I've only got an hour to prepare. Tandang Sora wanted me to come to the mass with them because I was a part of the household and I was family.

But I was so busy finishing my gift for Antonio that I forgot about the mass.

"May ginawa pa po kasi ako."

Napangiti siya, "Ikaw ba'y nagbuburda?"

Natigilan ako sa tanong nito.

"Simula noong kami'y dumating rito ay madalang lang kung ika'y aking makausap. Palagi kitang nakikitang abala sa pagbuburda na para bang ika'y may mahalagang taong pagbibigyan nito."

I quickly shook my head as I felt my cheeks heat up. "W-wala ho! Promise, wala."

Yes, I lied pero 'di niya pwedeng malaman. Wala ng pwedeng makaalam. Tama na na si Corazon lang ang nakakaalam. 'Di ako sanay na may ibang taong nakakakita sa side kong 'to.

Her shoulders slumped, as if defeated, "Ganun ba?" Nawala ang ngiti sa mukha nito.

I nodded, looking away.

She gave me a meaningful look as her enthusiasm reappeared, "Ngunit kakaiba ang ngiting nakapaskil s iyong mukha habang tinititigan ang iyong nilikha."

I gulped. Am I that obvious? Am I that transparent that even a person I just met saw right through me? We've only talked for a few times.

O baka lahat ng tao sa nakaraan nakakabasa ng isipan?

"W-wala po talaga."

She lookedat me for a moment averting her gaze to other direction. She stood up and walked towards me, "Tayo'y magmadali at malapit nang mag-umpisa ang misa de gallo. Halika't ika'y aking tutulungang mag-ayos."