KABANATA 5

I opened my eyes and saw green all around me, mostly trees and algae rotting the bushes. The light coming from the sun was fading, creating shadows and dark patches.

I sat up and looked around. I was surrounded by large, towering trees; large bushes and different types of wild plants. The orange light coming from the sun fought its way through the branches and leaves. The fireflies provided light in the dark parts of the place.

The wind was whistling around disturbing the leaves, carrying the sickly stink of wood rot. I smelled the fresh air as it runs through my nose. The air was a mixture of dried leaves, wet soil, and rotten wood. I can hear the insects humming and the thum of crickets, telling me it was already time for the sun to set and for the moon to rise.

Okay?

Nasaan ako?

WHERE THE HECK AM I?

I stood up, but because of my sudden movement, my head ached. The pain throbbed and pulsed in my skull. It felt like I was being pounded by a hammer. Pero tiniis ko 'yun. I breathed inwardly and relaxed myself, remembering what happened last night.

I remember having an arguement with mom, me going to my brother's room, then back to my own room. And now I'm in a forest?

Wait-

Maybe I'm lucid dreaming.

Right. Right. Maybe I am.

But I don't have the ability to lucid dream. But all of these feels and looks real!

I shook my head and closed my eyes. Only one way to find out.

I slapped my face, hard, then pinched my arms as hard as I could. I almost screamed because of the pain.

Okay, I should be in my room right now lying on my cozy bed and wrapped with my comfy blanket. Then the maid will enter my room carying a tray of freshly brewed coffee and a plate of scrambled egg with a toast on the side. This should be the scene once I open my eyes.

I inhaled. I crossed my fingers as I slowly opened my eyes. But to my disappointment, instead of seeing the black and white interior of my room, the woods welcomed me again.

My eyes grew wide. An unsettling feeling began welling inside me. There's something wrong here! I'm in a fucking forest for fuck's sake!

I brushed my fingers through my blonde locks out of frustration. I bit my lower lip. How did I get here? I don't remember going out last night. And fuck, I don't do sleep-walking.

Teka- baka nakidnap ako? Tama, nakidnap ako!

I looked around me. But who would kidnap me? Wala akong nakikitang ni isang tao o kahit na kubo man lang. Now, sino ang kikidnap sakin? A cricket? An insect? A tree perhaps?  You're being dumb! Think rationally for pete's sake. You're in the middle of a fucking forest and it's getting dark!

I stopped arguing with myself when I heard the breaking of twigs and the clattering of leaves. My heart beat fast when I heard the beat of paws, or feet, tapped the ground.

I gulped, turning around to see what's behind me. My breath got caught in my throat when I saw the thing behind me, just a few meters away.

It was a pig.

I know I should be happy that it wasn't a wolf or something and it didn't lunge right at me, but I wasn't. I shouldn't be.

The pig wasn't any ordinary domestic pig. No, it doesn't have a pinkish skin. And no, it's not cute. Of course it's not cute! Wild boars aren't cute!