Abscond • 3

DISTANCE, DISTANCE, DISTANCE

         DISTANCE, DISTANCE, DISTANCE. Kiera needed to maximize the distance between the woman and her. Her body was coated in sweat and her feet felt sore from repeating the same pattern.

Right, left, right left. Lift foot, hit concrete, lift foot, hit concrete.

         If she pictured going home and being safe, the image of the woman's half alive body would somehow implant itself in her thoughts. Her eyes felt heavy in their sockets and she couldn't feel her throat because of how dry it had become.

         She couldn't look at the trees or her feet, especially when the fear of the woman standing in front of her out of nowhere seemed real.

The woman was everywhere, yet she wasn't there.

        Time seemed to stretch itself when she counted her heartbeat or focused on her pattern of breathing. She knew she was ten minutes away from her house if she drove. That must've been approximately three to four miles. She had been running continuously as if something was chasing her. As soon as that thought entered her mind, she become hyper aware of what she could not see. Maybe the woman was still alive and catching up to her. Kiera never did check the heartbeat after all.

         Muscles tearing and becoming sore caused Kiera to slow down. She had to stop running and do something. The hospital taught her to deal with stressful situations. She once had the responsibility of calming down an impaled woman. How had she done it?

        Memories were blurred by the sporadic flashbacks of the woman's bloody face appearing in front of her eyes. It was impossible to think properly and remember.

        She wanted to scream but she was afraid someone would hear her.

        She wanted to call out for help but she was afraid someone would imprison her.

        Kiera paused, a notion that had been hanging on a thread finally striking her. She patted the front and back pockets of her jeans in desperation.

       No phone.

        Not only was she currently stranded on the middle of the road during an ungodly hour, she also had no form of contact with another human being. At least, another living being.

        If she went back to her house, she could cleanse herself. But her car, phone, money, and even victim would be left on the side of the road until someone discovered the atrocity that had taken place. Running away was out of the question because her mother needed the financial and moral support.

        Kiera missed her mother. She yearned to lapse into the routine of being kissed goodbye in the mornings and insisted on having her lights closed by her mother every night. The car that was currently beaten up, broken, and bloodied was a gift from her mother too.