Chapter Twenty-Three

Me and Uriah are sitting against the wall of the train, holding hands and I'm resting my head on his shoulder. I notice Four looking in our direction every once in awhile. "I can't believe I missed it!" Will says angrily.

     "Well believe it because, you did." I say. He looks at me and then looks confused.

     "You were performing the very important job of staying out of our way." Christina laughs.

     "Why did I have to be on the other team?" groans Al.

     "Because life's nit fair, Albert. And the world is conspiring against you. Hey, can I see the flag again?" says Will.

     "So you climbed the Ferris wheel, huh?" asks Uriah as Marlene walks up, she gives me a glare. I just glare back.

     "Yes." says Tris.

     "Pretty smart of you. Like... Erudite smart. I'm Marlene."

     "Tris."

     "Yeah, I know who you are, the first jumper tends to stick in your head." Uriah starts to squeeze one of the paintballs in between his fingers.

     "Uriah, not a smart idea." I say as the train lurches to the left and he falls on Tris and the paint burst in her face. Marlene just burst out laughing. Tris takes the paint from her face on Uriah's cheek.

     "Ew!" He goes to squeeze another one in her face, but in stead it burst and sprays into his mouth. He coughs and gags.

      "No kisses from me for awhile." I whisper in his ear. Of course he has to turn around and kiss me, I push him away. "Ew! Uriah!" I say. He starts to pout. I just kiss him on the forehead and then he smiles and starts scraping the paint off his tongue.

     "When did you two get together?" asks Christina.

     "When we played capture-the-flag." says Uriah smiling.

     "You're lucky to be able to even touch her, considering she's a Stiff." says Will. I just grab a paintball and throw it at him. Everyone burst out laughing.

     "Correction, Will, I was a Stiff." I say.

-------------

     I walk into the training room the next morning and see knives on a table and a large target. "Tomorrow will be the last day of stage one. You will resume fighting then. Today, you'll 've learning how to aim. Everyone pick up three knives and pay attention while Four demonstrates the correct technique for throwing them." says Eric. Everyone just stands there. "Now!"

     Everyone runs and grabs the knives, they feel weird in my hand, but soon I get used to them. "He's in a bad mood today." whispers Christina.

     "Is he ever in a good mood?" asks Tris.

     "Losing to Four must have made him mad." I say. I watch Four as he throws them, I watch his stance, his arm, and the way he breathes. Surprisingly Four hits the target every time.

     "Line up!" yells Eric and we rush to get in line. When I throw I do everything Four did, especially inhale, aim, exhale, and throw. I look at where my knives land and they all land in the middle.

     "I think the Stiffs taken to many hits in the head. Hey! Stiff remember what a knife is?" I hear Peter yell. I look over at Tris and see she was practicing her throwing. She throws a knife and hits the target, but Peter misses.

     "Hey Peter. Remember what a target is?" She mocks. I just smirk. After a while everybody has hit the target, but Al.

     "How slow are you, Candor? Do you need glasses? Should I move the target closer to you?" Al throws a knife after what Eric says and completely misses. "What was that initiate?"

     "Eric leave him alone." I say.

     "Stiff, did you just tell me what to do?" he asks, walking towards me.

     "I'm pretty sure I did." I say.

     "You know what, we're going to test Four's theory of you being able to beat me in a fight tomorrow." says Eric. I give Four the death glare. "Do you back down from that challenge?"

     "Eric I didn't say she could beat you, I said she could win one faster than you could." says Four.

     "Shut up, Four. Let's see if she'll back down." he says glaring at Four then back at me. "Well do you take the challenge or what?"

     "I'll take it. I'm not letting you mess with my friends and make me hang off the chasm for nothing." I say. Tris gives me the are you stupid face.

     "Okay I'll make a deal with you. You don't have to fight the person you're assigned to fight tomorrow and you get to pass and they lose if you beat me and vise versa if I win."

     "Deal, shake on it?" I say holding out my hand and he reaches out his to shake mine, I notice his hands are sweating. I pull him closer and whisper, "I know you're nervous, if you want to hide it wipe off your hands." He pulls away and wipes his hands on his pants.

     "Now back to you, go pick up that knife. The rest of you get back to throwing." Everyone starts to throw knives again.

     "You want me to get it? But everyone's throwing." says Al.

     "And?"

     "And I don't want to get hit."

     "I think you can trust your fellow initiates to aim better than you, go get your knife."

     "No."

     "Why not? Are you afraid?"

     "Of getting stabbed by an airborne knife? Yes, I am."

     "Everyone stop!" Eric yells and we all stop throwing our knives. "Clear out of the ring. All except you." he says pointing at Al and we move. "Stand in front of the target. Hey, Four. Can I get some help over here?" Four walks toward him. "you're going to stand there while Four throws those knives, until you learn not to flinch." says Eric.

     "Is this really necessary?" asks Four, glancing at me because, he knows I'll stand up for my friends no matter what.

     "I have the authority here, remember? Here and everywhere else." says Eric in Four's face. Four just turns and gets ready to throw.

     "Stop it." I hear Tris yell, I glace to where she's at. "Any idiot can stand in front of a target, that doesn't mean anything except for that you're bullying us. Which as I recall is a sign of cowardice." she says. She's made the wrong decision.

     "Then it should be easy for you, if you're willing to take his place." says Eric, Tris just freezes.

     "I can't." she says backing down.

     "I can though." I say before I even know it. Four give me the are you stupid face as I walk up to take Al's place.