Chapter Twenty-One

Four leads us to a road which reminds me of when Four was twelve and I was ten and the Abnegation came to help with loading tomatoes onto a truck. "If you don't rank in the top five at the end of initiation you will probably end up here, once you are a fence guard, there is some potential for advancement, but not much. You may be able to go on patrols beyond Amity's farms, but-" says Four before getting interrupted.

     "Patrols for what purpose?" asks Will.

     "I suppose you'll figure that out if you find your self among them. As I was saying. For the most part, those who guard the fence when they are young will continue to guard the fence If it comforts you, some of them insist that it isn't as bad as it seems."

     "Yeah, at least we won't be driving buses and cleaning up people's garbage like the factionless." whispers Christina.

     "What rank were you?" I ask. I don't expect him to answer, but he does.

     "I was first." he answers. My brother was first rank, that just makes me want to work harder.

     "And you chose to do this? Why didn't you choose a government job?" asks Peter.

     "I didn't want one." he answers. I understand why he would have to deal with Marcus. They start letting a truck in through the gates, the truck was probably filled with food for the other factions. Four dismisses us so we can look around.

     "Beatrice? Dawn?" I hear somebody say. Wait I recognize that voice. Robert? I turn around and see him. He walks up to me and Tris and hugs us both, I push away, it felt weird because, we were good friends back in Abnegation. He pulls back and frowns.

     "What happened to you guys? Tris what happened to your face?" he asks. I was more muscular than I used to be and Tris looked like somebody had used her face as a punching bag, which technically Peter did.

     "Nothing. Just training. Nothing." Tris says answering for both of us.

     "Beatrice? Is that your real name Stiff?" says Molly.

     "What did you think Tris was short for?" asks Tris. I hold Tris back, no need to challenge the beast.

     "Oh, I don't know... weakling?" says Molly. Okay that was it that hit the spark.

     "Shut up!" I say to her.

     "Oh wait, that doesn't start with Tris my mistake." Molly says. I growl under my breath and Tris touches my shoulder, to calm me down.

     "There's no need to antagonize her. I'm Robert, who are you?" Not a good idea Robert.

     "Someone who doesn't care what your name is, why don't you get back in your truck?" She retorts.

     "Leave him alone Molly, he didn't do anything to you and neither did we." I say.

     "We're not supposed to fraternize with other faction members." says Molly. I have to admit I had a little crush on Robert, when we were five, so along time ago.

     "Why don't you get away from us?" I say, trying to calm down.

     "Right. Wouldn't want to get between you and your boyfriend." she say, directly at me as she walks off.

     "They don't seem like nice people." says Robert.

     "Some of them aren't." says Tris.

     "You could go home, back to Abnegation, they would accept you back." says Robert.

     "I'd rather not." I say. Robert just gives me a confused look. "I belong in Dauntless." I answer.