Chapter 3

And so, they ran. Their feet making little to no noise as the raced through the forest. The sun against their backs. Zarla stopped suddenly holding her hand out to catch his chest making him stop with her.

She noted the hardness of his chest as it came into contact with her hand. Quickly removing it she held it up to his face, silencing him.

She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, listening around her. What she smelled and heard was running water near them. Without saying a word she started to walk in the direction of the source. When it got louder she smiled, taking in the scent of fresh water.

“How did you hear that? Or smell it for that matter? I mean I have sharper senses than most but even I didn’t hear or smell it.”

“Look, you know nothing about me. I’d like it to stay that way. I don’t like getting attached to people because people die. Everything dies. So what’s the point of getting attached when all you get to do is watch everyone die around you when you don’t age?”

“Wait, you don’t age?” he asked.

She cursed internally. Well I guess there’s no point in trying to hide it now. The bird is already out of the nest.

She sighed, “No, I don’t.”

“So how old are you in real time?”

“I’ve lost count.”

“What year were you born?”

“1542 I think. I’m not sure anymore. It’s been too long.”

He paused for a moment calculating her age. “That makes you 214 years old.” he said, shock consuming his face, “So is that why your senses are so much more enhanced than everyone else’s?”

“No, I’ve been like this since I was born.” Shit, why can’t I keep my trap shut with him? Jesus Zarla, you don’t even know him! Just stop talking.

Zarla? Saphira asked nervously.

Yes?

I have some news for you.

Hang on a second.

“Jason, I will be back in a moment. Fill up the water canteens please.” she said handing him her canteen.

“Sure.” he said shrugging.

Okay Saphira, what’s up?

A pause, then, I talked to Jeffery, he got into the medical records at the hospital here and he found something interesting in the back records about your parents.

Okay... You sent a mouse to do research on my family history. What did he find?

Well he found that your parents are just like you, they had to change their living because they never aged. We had to go through back records, stuff that was on the lock-down to get it.

So wait, they are alive?

She paused, sadness in her voice, No, unfortunately they were slaughtered for being different. I just hope they don't find you out. You've changed homes five times Zarla, someone is bound to notice you. 

You are probaby right Saphira, but what can I do? I'm getting so tired of running from what I think may happen. I want a family and a husband who loves me. Is that too much to ask?

No. But unless you figure out how to avoid all this then that won't happen. Not safe to bring a baby into the world when you are running from villagers with pitch forks and torches.